Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

speedo drive?

fordy

took the engine out friday and seemed to have knocked the speedo drive off the gearbox. Fairly common occurence I bet.

Anyway, I can't understand how the angle drive attaches. Mine seems to have been soldered on. Is this normal?

Also there was another wire left dangling in the tunnel, I'm guessing this is for the reverse light switch? It seems to have been attached using a popper similar to a hood popper. Again is this normal or some previous owners bodge. I seem to have broken it anyway.

Reversing light switch is usually a popper.

Speedo drive consists of...

... a copper(?)-coloured flange adaptor held in with a circlip and then the right angle drive unit. It is of course bastard difficult to attach either of these in the car, and very easy to knock them out. The rotational position of the circlip can determine how securely the adaptor is held. It is a hugely unsatisfactory arrangement (which is why I don't use it...)

if your angle drive ends up being knackered i have one available for sale. Like Peter I don't use it - I got fed up of it falling out and then half the time bouncing along the road destroying itself. they cost about 40 quid from Caterham.

You'll probably want some 90 degree circlip pliers to put it back in.

a bike speed suffices for now - half the price, more accurate, easy to recalibrate, trip function etc included. eventually a Stack ST500SR will go in, but they cost a bit more...

HOOPY

R706KGU 495 kg 200 bhp Hoopylight R - R is for running in *smile*

looks like it was bodged - there were little globs of solder trying to hold the angle drive in. Looks like all this was because the circlip is broken......

thanks hoopy, may be in touch but have some other more pressing issues to deal with at the moment! Like sorting out the engine.