Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How would how spend £300 on an XFlow

Joe 90

because that's all that's left out of the restoration budget. It's dry sumped and got forged pistons and roller rockers, so I'm considering :

4 into 1 exhaust

More head work

Steel flywheel

3D mapped ignition

Bettter shock absorbers

??

Upgradeitis ward, awaiting open wallet surgery. 100,016 miles

I note you include a 4>1 exhaust...

then I presume you have a 4:2:1 exhaust.. installing a 4:1 would release some addition flowing for the engine.. atleast get a 4:1 before going further in the head dept..

C.

'Heigh Ho Me Hearties'

See my CAR here

Thanks for the feed back! I noticed that Burtons offer the Omex system for £325 + VAT, so I hope to do it cheaper than that! I'm going to hijack my own thread by saying that my 5 speed upgrade will add about 18kg *eek*, or about 3% of the weight. I'm looking for 4-5 BHP, unless I can get a useful weight saving.

Oliver..

what is the spec of the engine/car at the moment then???

you say you have done a restoration project on it?? what did you do?.. what didnt you do?

IMHO 4x boxes are fine unless you are doing alot of motorway miles.. a 4x will do 80@ about 4000rpm (a 5x only brings this down about 4-500rpm) this would prob be nearer to 800ukp than your 300ukp budget.

3d map.. whilst improving the engine, this maybe should be the 'finishing touch' to a engine.. maybe not be the first thing you should think about if the engine is fine with your dizzy (I presume).. you will be lucky to get a nice system installed into your car for under 5-600ukp

Steel flywheel.. wouldnt bother unless your modding your engine or Gb ratios (shorter). unsure of cost?

4:1 exhaust.. I would (personaly) start here as the car would be able to breathe a little better and *sound* GREAT 😬.. these can be picked up 2nd hand for 150ukp or less.. check the for sale section or call any Cat' garage n see if they have one off a racer (maybe too loud for tracks but perfect for road)..

if you car is getting long in the tooth the shocks maybe getting past their best.. this wont make you car faster 'so to speak' but will improve the car.. speak Ratrace/Protune etcetc n they will sell/fit n flat floor it for you.. but again expect over 300ukp

best *budget* upgrade I did to my car was to get a set of Yoko A021r tyres.. (185/70/13) are 40ukp each and will trasnform you car.. and will leave some money to look for an exhaust with

All MHO.. I'll get me jacket on the way out

'Heigh Ho Me Hearties'

See my CAR here

I agree with Chris K, my old Xflow was a 4 speed, and in retrospect the simplicity of just an H gate was great for fast changes. Also the 5 speed I have does not drop the revs much (500 or so) @80mph compared to the old car with a 4 speed. So overall allthough I wanted a 5 speed when I had a 4 speed, the difference is not as great as I thought.

Greg, Q 86 NTM (Green 185BHP XF)

Spec of current engine is:

1700 cc with forged pistons.

Kent 234 cam (I think) with roller rockers

Big valve head

Twin 40 DCOEs

Dry sumped

Dizzy and points

4 to 2 to 1 exhaust

130BHP estimated at 5600 rpm

Somewhat to my surprise I've got a 3.9 and a bit to 1 diff ratio, giving 4000 RPM at 70MPH. Does the side exhaust sound much louder than the tail exhaust?

What about a 244 or 254 Cam? Might need double valve springs and new followers (not expensive) would be essential, you would also need a duplex drive ISTR. This is an engine out job thou.

Greg,

the engine is in bits now, so that's not an issue. I was going to post some more weights on the 7FAQ web site, but I can't find the weights bit. The 244 cam is an interesting idea as I have double valve springs and piston cut outs. Anyone know what the drawbacks are , presumably some loss of low RPM tractability. Would 3D ignition help?

Crash team to the Upgradeitis ward, the withdrawal symptons are getting worse

Oliver

Check that your valve cutouts are deep enough for the new cam, they may only just be deep enough for your current cam - assuming the new cam has more lift and not simply more duration.

I am running a 244 cam with a single timing chain so it can be done but It is one of the things I am considering upgrading.

I would suggest the exhaust in combination with the cam as everything I have read indicates that you must upgrade the system as a whole - nothing will give much benefit untill the bottleneck in your system is removed. It seems to me that the exhaust is the bottleneck.

Specificaly the Manifold, the real gain is the long primary pipes of the race/side exit system - not the fact the the total length of the exhaust is a little less.

As to how quiet a side exit can be - It will be louder especially as the 2nd hand side exit that you are likely to pick up in your budget will have little packing in it but you could even connect the race manifold onto the rear exit system - assuming diameters are the same. To fit an old side exit silencer onto the existing manifold would be to miss the point.

Nick

I concure with the posting above. The side exit exhaust isn't much noisier than the std system because I find the intake noise is louder than either, esp at motorway speeds. The 244 cam will give you more power and a 7 is light enough that any loss low down is not really a problem. Both of these will come within your £300 budget unlike a lot of the suggestions, and provide a tangible benefit. The 4:1 exhaust also looks a lot better as well!

You will lose low down tractability, although 3D will help allot here.

My 264 3D car will pull from very low revs in a high gear, as long as you only give it a (very small) bit of throttle.

Hairer cams do have a jeckle and Hyde character, where no much happens below 4000 rpm and then all hell breaks lose. Does mean you have to be in the right gear to make efficient progress.

I believe the 244 is a popular comprimise, and along with an exhaust would make quite a difference. 3D ontop would not add much power, but would help with tracability and MPG.

Hmmm. From the practicality aspect I think it's looking like 244 cam, then 4 to 1 exhaust, then 3D ignition. The 4-2-1 silencer is smaller bore than 4-1 silencer, so mixing it would be a nuisance. Caterham want £395 for the 4-1 exhaust, which actually seems quite good value, but over budget unless I can find one 2nd hand. The cut outs in the pistons are good and deep, but I will check anyway. I once blew an engine to bits through inadequate valve to piston clearance, so that's a lesson learnt the hard way.

Roger King is fitting the hardened seats for the unleaded conversion for a lot less than £300, but then I have stripped the head myself. I noticed in another thread that the freestyle dampers seem to be remakably good value.