Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Heater Control

Petrolhead

On my car I found I had to open the bonnet ad manually close the heater valve as the control didn't take it all the way. Push in to turn it off IIRC...

Tony

M1 7 SMW 1.4SS Lotus colours with cycle wings.

Currently featuring the imprint of a Jeep on the nsr wing *mad*

Yes, of course it does! Probably find that if you remove the bonnet and look at the heater valve (I'm assuming it is the newer plastic fresh air heater with the embossed '7' on it) it may be that the cable flexes and doesn't actuate the valve. Migfht need a bit of lube and a wiggle. You can normally loop the end of the cable off (or unclamp it) and manually operate this valve.

It could be out of adjustment and you are just getting some bleed past. Easy to reclamp to ensure fully shut off position. Much more important to have it fully closing than fully opening. I have mine adjusted so that when you push the heater control in under the dash it actually is a bit 'springy' so ensuring the valve is fully shut!!!!!!

Good luck. *thumbup*

Clamshell Club Founder Member.

There's more to this problem than just sticky valves, the heat from the pipes will still get past across to the heater over any reasonable length of time and will heat the cockpit. Closing the plastic bits at the front of the heater doesn't stop all the hot air coming out as well, you need to cover the two venting holes that go into the footwell.

I've used some thin ali blanking plates to slip under the heater and cover these holes for the summer time and will remove for the winter. It works a treat, no more bloody hot legs on sunny days and less heat and fumes when the hoods up.

C7 MLE

The big red one with yellow bits on.