Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Close ratio conversion

Must Go Faster

Hello I am new to the Caterham scene.

I've bought the car

I've got the T-shirt

Now I need lots of advice

I bought a 1.4 k SS with a 5 speed box after going to the Caterham 7 festival.

Has anyone converted the 5 speed box to close ratio gears and is this a good alternative mod to the 6 speed taking cost into account?

Will

Good question and I look forward to the answers. I have a 1.4K bought in May, having done just a couple of track days in it I find the only gears I use are 2nd & 3rd with the occasional 4th on a long straight. I am considering the 6 speed route simply to protect the engine & (finances permitting) a set of differing diffs(sic).

Ian Parry in the Surrey area had a 1.4SS and it would not pull the 2.04 first in the Quaife based close ratio 5 speed.

Fitting a 6 speed transformed the car. The six speed was designed originally for the 1.4k to keep the engine in the powerband. Something no 5 speed box could do!

If you want a 6 speeder give Phil Stewart a call at Road Race Transmissions. He gets a few secondhand refurb 6 speeders in at good prices....

Arnie Webb

Organiser- L7C Le Mans Trip

To book for this years Le Mans Trip see The Le Mans Trip Website

Its nearly full!!!

I've also got the 1.4SS and find that on the road it may as well be a 3-speed 'box with 3rd taking you to about 100mph.

I don't think a higher first gear is the answer because the SS needs to get up the rev range quickly to get into the power band.

I think it needs lower 2nd,3rd,and 4th gears.

Edited by - l7svn on 22 Jan 2001 12:29:59