Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rust on the wishbones

Steve W

Last time I used the car 2 weeks ago it was still damp when I put it away. Due to the cold damp weather the car has not dried out. Now checking on it the front whishbones and one of the shocks have rusted where the powder coating has chipped.

On a past car I just painted over this with smooth hammerite. This worked fine but does not match the exact colour and finish of the powder coat. Any idea's on the best way to touchup these rust spots.

rub the rusty bits down to bare metal and smooth the surrounding paint to give a flush

surface.then apply a couple of coats of

Plasti-coat zinc primer,then finish off using

two or three coats of Plasti-coat satin black

you'll never tell the difference!Available from halfords and homebase etc.Good look.

Cheers.C7 POW.

Steve

Get them blasted and re-powder coated in Satin Black. Will be more durable than new as Catrhams powder coating is very poor. (In some cases they do not degrease the parts first!)

Take a look in the Yellow Pages to find a powder coater....

Arnie Webb

Organiser- L7C Le Mans Trip

To book for this years Le Mans Trip see The Le Mans Trip Website

Its nearly full!!!

Edited by - fast arnie on 21 Jan 2001 22:01:14

Steve W.

It's either 'Smoothrite OR Hammerite (by Finnigans)! I know what you mean though!!! What you need is the spray version of 'Smoothrite' which comes in the SATIN black. J & J are right in saying that is a v. good match for the original Caterham colour.

Edited by - chris clark on 21 Jan 2001 21:48:25

IMHO forget powder coating which is always a compromise - go to Kelcoat at Leek and get them NYLON coated - excellent finish and many times more resistant than powder coat....also if you have corrosion problems on the wishbones, take a look under the car at the rear chassis tubes and at the A-frame....you could be in for a shock!!!

Paul

Thanks for the advice. The rear of the car is fine as it was wax oiled a couple of months ago. When the weather improves I'll give the whole underside of the car a good clean and touchup any signs of rust. I think I'll just paint the whishbones at the moment as I may end up going to a widetrack front at some point.