Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacement Heater Motor

MikeK

Further to previous post, my heater motor has failed (1990 live axle car). Caterham want £75 for replacement. Does anyone know if the same motor is used on other cars so I can visit a scrap yard?

Thanks,

MikeK

When I was sniffing round for a heater a while ago (given up now, moved 700 miles south) sb. said that one from a Golf 1 or 2 could be "made to fit" to an earlyish 7. It certainly looks feasible, I suggest a grovel round a scrappy *smile* for the bit followed by a bit of bolt and build with some ally.

Someone will be along in a bit to say "throw it away and buy a coat" but this depends where you live and how often you use the car. When I was in Northumberland I had to drive the 15 miles to work for two days in February, it was -4° and deeply unpleasant.

'course you could get the part no off it and ask a factor, or go grovelling in scrappys anyway, always a good thing to do on a nice summer saturday.

• Leadership Team

This won;t help much but a couple of years ago, I was in the same situation.

Not having found a better source, I ended up shelling out £75 ish to Caterham. About 2 weeks later, went to the Stoneleigh Kit car show and there was a stand selling them new for £20 ish.

I wasn't happy, but I'm afriad I didn't take the details of the company...

Good luck - Michael.