Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

REPLACING A CLUTCH CABLE

PAB8888

Please Help:

I have recently bought a 1.8 Seven six speed 1997 and as lukc would have it the clutch cable has given way. Is there any idiots guide that I can follow to replace the said part.

Many Thanks for your help.

PB.

Firstly, buy two new cables, one to fit and the other to be carried as a spare. The job is very simple and takes less time to do, than it is taking me to type this explanation.

Remove bonnet, remove pedal box cover, which will then gives you access to the clutch pedal. Remove old cable from clutch pedal, fit new cable, running the new cable along the same route as the old. The outer cable enters the bellhouse but the nut on the threaded adjuster prevents it passing too deep into the housing.

On top of the bell house in a rubber gaiter/cover... remove this cover and you will see the clutch release arm below. Fit the new cable to this arm, taking up necessary slack out of the outer cover, replace the rubber cover and your done.

Tools required, Phillips driver (for pedal box cover) and a pair of pliers (to remove split pins).

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

PB

The cable is Caterham specific, I got shot down on here for asking the same question when I was reminded that it's a Caterham bespoke clutch pedal and a Caterham Gearbox..nothing to do with Rover untill the relaease arm presses the CRB against a Rover bit

Very good suggestion to carry a spare as they frequently fail also a spare throttle cable wouldn't go amiss

Mark

Totally agree with all above comments any K owner who dosn't have at least one spare clutch cover and a Star driver in the boot is asking for trouble. Mine let go in the 09:00 am London City traffic and due to above spares was on my way from being parked on Pavment within 15mins. 😬 *cool*