Click here if you are having website access problems ×

strange engine/exhaust notes

Vogon SuperTrooper

Have had new battery put in, which lives right below the carbs of my 91 xflo. Not a simple operation as chassis has extra tube where it oughtn't.

So car now starts but rapidly develops a sort of two-beat note. po-po-po-po-po. Blipping the accelerator just speeds this clear two beat note until it's clearly turning so fast as to be indistinguishable.

I'm nervous because it simply doesn't feel right. Has anyone any ideas?

Chalres

Charles

How about a leaking exhaust gasket on the head. Without burning yourself try to put your hand near the head / header pipe join and while you or someone else blips the throttle try to feel if there is any gas escaping. Please be careful and dont burn yourself.

AMMO

Hmm Charels: An engine going po-po-po-po-po is not good. If it goes po-po-pi-po-po may I suggest an engine tuner, and if (heaven forbid) it goes po-do-diddle-eye-do I reckomend you copyright it for the spice girls next single... smile.gif smile.gif

Yours in

Ineffable foolishness

Charles,

I seem to remember from crawling under your car at Mulsanne Corner that is an Xflow 1700 SS???

If so.....

Check the distributor cap is fixed sound, and that you did not damage or dislodge the HT leads where they plug into the disti cap.

Above all DONT DRIVE IT FAR. You may do some significant internal damage if the ignition is not working properly.

Arnie Webb

Organiser- L7C Le Mans Trip

To book for this years Le Mans Trip see The Le Mans Trip Website

Its nearly full!!!

Roger,

Is it true that balancing carbs (or TB's) only really has an effect at small throttle openings? I was wondering because if this is true, I could probably stop worrying about it when I'd rather be concentrating on driving (like on the start line of a sprint or in the pits on a track day) Mine do drift out fairly regularly.

Alex

Alex,

Sorry, that isn't what I meant to imply. It's just that if one carb is open, say, 3 degrees more than the other, this will have a large effect at tickover.

Instead of both carbs being open, say, 2 degrees, you may have one completely shut and the other open 3 degrees. This is a major imbalance in the amount of air that can flow through each carb and will lead to rough part throttle running. On full throttle, say 85 degrees open, a difference of 3 degrees is not that significant in terms of the amount of air that each carb can flow and will therefore have a much smaller effect.

It is still important to get the balance correct on the track, because it can affect the way the engine picks up from low revs. That said, if I were driving on track and suddenly realised that the carbs had gone out of balance by 3 degrees (decide for yourself if I really am that good), I don't think I'd bother to stop until the end of the session. Of course, as soon as you trickle back to the paddock you'll notice.

Charles,

the list of things to check in the "under carb/battery" area are - HT leads, throttle cable - make sure its fed into the holder on the carbs OK. The adjuster between to 2 sets of carbs is easy to knock out of adjustment. If the carbs were removed to fit the battery then check the carb/manifold unit is not leaking at either the carb or inlet end.

Failing that, remove the filters and try covering each inlet up and seeing what happens - if it is running on only 3 (or 2) cylinders at idle then you should hear a distinct difference when you stop a working one from breathing.

Dave H

Thanks Dave H and co. On turning over for the first time this morning there was a puff of something that escaped between the rear carb manifold. So tightened that a bit. But two stroke sound (as it were) still very pronounced and I can't, to be truthful, sense which cylinders are making this embarrassing noise although I think it's the front ones. Will I have enough space by removing the carb filters to get at the doings below?. I'm going to go and have a fiddle now.

Will log on this evening so your continued patience, wisdom and help very much appreciated. Incidentally, is this a job a total walnut-fisted novice should even be attempting?

regards

Chalres

Had similar probs with my X-flow last weekend, sounded like a tractor. After a chat with James Whiting on Monday he suggested all sorts of things to unscrew/fettle on the carbs (love the way he treats me like I know something!). Subsequent call to the father-in-law (rally engineer for decades), who is well aware of my ineptitude, brought my screwdriver wielding to an abrupt halt. Limped round to JW's instead, discretion being the better part of valour.

Charles

If carb. balance is the problem, Halfords sell a reasonably priced multi-carb balancing device which whilst not super accurate isn't too bad either. Can't remember the manufacturer but it does come with full instructions and is quite easy to use.

Brent

PS Just remembered the name - Gunson. They make all kinds of diagnostic equipment. smile.gif

This advice is offered because I have already pictured Charles following it, resulting in mild amusement.

The Dave Andrews approved way of testing carb balance is to stick a piece of rubber tube in your ear and then use it to listen to each trumpet in turn. The difference in balance is most apparent at idle, where you are aiming for a steady hiss and an overlaid "wop-wop-wop-wop" noise.

Ah, well that means that pretty much everybody has been barking up the wrong tree with this thread.

Perhaps we didn't pay enough attention when you were explaining how traumatic the noise is or how the the puff of something appeared.

FWIW, a puff of something white (fuel vapour) is frequently a lean misfire. Sounds like a carb sneezing.

I will add my worth to the opinion which suggests expert remedial attention. The usual technique in diagnosing mechanical gremlins is to examine what it was that you last changed. Whenever you hand over your car to others things get changed beyond your knowledge (and frequently beyond their knowledge) allowing the nurture of the undiagnosable gremlin.

Best of luck.

Doctor's report: apparently the forward carb did fall out of kilter (hosepipe test)but still there's a question mark over compression ratios which are different for each cylinder and, in two cases, low. Rolling road next stop?

So she sounds gorgeous now, which matters.

thanks all for your contributions and suggestions.

Charles