Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Overheating

Smegnoguk

I posted this topic about a week ago but nobody responded. Hear goes again.

I have a 1600 Vauxhall engine Classic build in 1999. The last two weekends I have been driving down the A3 quite fast and noticed that the temperature was rising more than I would like. On Saturday it got up to just over 80 degrees and the engine was decidedly unhappy (flat spots and loss of power) so I slowed right down to stop it getting any hotter. When I park with the engine running, the fan comes on at 80 degrees. Does that seem hot for my tupe of car? The engine definitely doesn't like it. I have only done 6,000 miles so I would be amazed if the head gasket had gone already. Any ideas? Can I get a fan switch that comes on at a lower temperature?

Who's looking at the Ferrari? Nobody, that's who!

80 degrees is not that high, most cars have that as their normal running temp. If the fan is cutting in about this temp you have either got a fan switch with a low switching temp or your guage/sendor is U/S. What temp did the car run at before you noticed the problem?

Mellow Yellow Vauxhall - I don't think so!!!

Those temperatures are all pretty cool really, so why is the engine performance suffering? Is it on carbs or fuel injection? Either way, it sounds a bit like a fuel problem.

Upgradeitis ward, awaiting open wallet surgery. 100,016 miles