Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R300 noise level

Jan T

Am I right to assume that an R300 with it's standard exhaust will be noisier than 100dbs (measured at 45degrees from exhaust outlet at 0.5metres and at 4500rpm) ?

Any advice gratefully received as I was hoping to go to Castle Combe in August.

Thanks

Jan

Jan T

If Bedford stuck to their published noise level then possibly ok but they have been known to lower it on the day (ask Impreza club as it's a long story) so personally I would not take my own car and give them my money if this can happen.

Shame really because it's one track i would love to go back with the R300 to see how far i could push it, due to all the lovely run off's.

terry

Edited by - tezza on 2 Jun 2003 21:54:40

If going to Bedford watch out for the drive by noise meters. While my car only gave 96 db static it was apparently well over the drive by and black flagged on the day. *thumbdown* OK so load's of induction noise from the webbers *cool* I was asked to do a drive by loop while they checked the noise. With being say a little easier on the gas I was allowed back out to play? Let’s just leave it at when there you should be able to see the meters quite easily and adjust your driving if required 😬

My SL (R400 spec,DVA'd VVC) failed its SVA on the noise through the standard silencer,measured at 103dB.(measured at 5200 rpm,where does the 3000 come from?)

Unfortunately,on the way home it ingested a fastener into No 3 cylinder from the airbox fixings and is now dead.

I could have fixed the noise with some baffles but now I need a new piston,head and valves.

Waaaaah! ☹️

Edited by - Grim Reaper on 3 Jun 2003 11:22:25

The 3000 rpm rev limit was requested by the SVA tester, which was carried at rest. I don't think I'd be inclined to do for the same at rest test at 5200 rpm ☹️

I far as I am aware the SLR 400/300 exhaust are the same, and considerably larger that the smaller SL

R300 NUT

Edited by - Bafty Crastard on 3 Jun 2003 12:41:49

• 2 weeks later...

Just had my new 6" Powerspeed (www.powerspeed.co.uk) exhaust fitted on a 210bhp VHPD and recorded 96.4db at 4500+ rpm last Tuesday at Castle Combe, usually notorious for their strict noise tests. The aged 7" box I had before looked a bit ugly, but otherwise OK and that gave 98db at Castle Combe on two previous occassions. Even my original (and empty) 6" box only just managed 101db at CC. I can't imagine a standard R300 would be noisier. I was told my car seemed quieter on drive-by than a couple of R400 racers who were testing and they got through the 100bd static test.

I must say the Powerspeed unit not only looks a load better but also seems to give a better response, certainly a nicer (crisper) exhaust note. Price was pretty good too compared to other sources, delivery was fast as well.

Mike

Graham,

One of the bolts holding the airbox to the backplate must have dropped out between me putting them in and getting to the SVA test centre at Hull.

I didn't notice it was missing and on the way home the fastener inside the airbox has come free from its placement and dropped into the airbox then been sucked into No 3 cylinder.

I have had it fixed (thanks Oily) and the result was 3 bent valves and a lot of little dents in the piston top and combustion chamber ☹️.

Moral to the story is...loctite and silicone anything that might (no matter how implausible it may seem) get into the inlets.