Click here if you are having website access problems ×

the what i did at the weekend topic

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Deck of cards" was a song that Max Bygraves recorded, as did Jim Reeves (who they ask) and I believe Elvis also did a version.

A quick Google really scared me, it showed at in November 1973 Max charted with Deck of cards at No 13 !! above Roxy Music, Elton John, Status Quo, Slade, David Bowie, T-Rex, Bob Dylan, and Tie a Yellow Ribbon.

Amazing how different the world of music was back then

Gary Glitter was No 1, Donnie Osmond has 2 in the top 10, Marie Osmond (pwoar*) has 1, and Bowie has another in the top 10

and most Bizzarely someone called Wink Martindale (lost of anagrams in there I'm sure) was a couple of places places below max also with "deck of cards"

Paul

* a favourite quote from Custom Bike** of that era was "What red blooded male amongst you has not harboured a sinister desire to administer a fierce one to Marie Osmond"

** A fine publication with many young ladies trapped over bikes sans textile

If ya' can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all. Thumper

Wink Martindale

b. Winston Martindale, 1933, Jackson, Tennessee, USA. A 1959 revival of T. Texas Tyler's Deck Of Cards monologue is synonymous with this ex-Memphis radio presenter as the pyramids are to Egypt. While studying speech and drama at the state university, he had moonlighted at a city station, working his way up from music librarian. A meeting with Dot Records executive Randy Wood led to the release of Deck Of Cards—a soldier answering a charge of playing cards in church by explaining each one's religious significance—an opus that appealed to Martindale, a former chorister and regular church-goer. Its worldwide success brought far-flung television appearances on Australia's BANDSTAND and UK's SUNDAY NIGHT AT THE LONDON PALLADIUM, and also caused the artist to migrate to Hollywood, where he hosted the TEENAGE DANCE PARTYTELEVISION series in the early '60s. A Deck Of Cards has been extraordinarily successful in the UK, re-entering the charts on several occasions in the '60s and in 1973. It peaked behind a more recently recorded rival recitation from Max Bygraves.

If ya' can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all. Thumper