Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

NEED MORE POWER

nbut

Hi, Ive just bought a 1.4 K series but need lots more power, as im sure everyone does. as im new to K series i thought id ask the people that have done it all before !!!! *cool*

One question i did have was can the 1.4 block take 1.8 liners???? or should I go down the route of a new engine if so which one *confused*

Thanks Nick

Nick butler

depends on the vintage of 1.4 block.

Early 1.4's had wet liners which are unsuitable for conversion. Later 1.4's have damp liners which are suitable for conversion. Don't know how you tell.

I don't think its particularly cost effective to do it like that though as 1.8 block/bottom end is typically only around £200.

If there is a criss-cross pattern of reinforcing webs on the crankcase between the vertical webs that mark each cylinder then it is a wet linered engine and cannot be upgraded.

I am just doing a 1.4 to 1.8 upgrade on an ex-race car sourcing a new engine and it is worth knowing that because of the generational change in engines a hell of a lot needs to be changed. This is not a simple process. List of changes includes:

- flywheel

- coil

- engine wiring loom

- alternator

- (in this case) dry sump system needs to be modified to get the pulleys to line up

- (in this case) clutch

- spacing of belt runs etc.

- bolts for sump mounting changed thread...

I am still working on a neat solution to get the EU2 MEMS immobilser to operate correctly with the previous generation car wiring loom...