Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Heaters and 1990 Live Axle Cars

MikeK

The 10A heater fuse blows when the heater fan is on position two (half speed is OK). Presumably a resistor fault most likely. Are the resistors located in the black heater box?

Also, has anyone retrofitted a heater control to these cars so that I can have the fan blowing cool air (I've seen that there is a knob on 1.4 cars that allows the hot water into the heater matrix to be turned off, and thus cooler air to be blown).

Any advice gratefully received.

MikeK

Mike

Dont know anything about resisters but on my 1989 car the heater kit from Caterham came with a simple valve to stop the flow of water, operated by a choke type knob/cable. If I remember it was VW in origin, someone out there must have one on their car that has the part number on it.

Paul (also in Notts)

Mike,

It must be a motor fault if it's OK at the slow speed. There are two types of heater, the older type which draws in air from above the transmission tunnel and a newer type which draws in air through the bonnet. They are easy to tell apart because the fresh air heaters require a seventh set of louvres in the bonnet. If you have the earlier type, you can't blow cool air, you will need a new heater and a new bonnet 🙆🏻

Upgradeitis ward, awaiting open wallet surgery. 100,016 miles

D'oh. Mines an early one then which draws air from the transmission tunnel.

Is it that the air from the transmission tunnel area is warm anyway and hence putting a valve in to turn the hot water feed off in order to get a cool(er) air flow is of limited value?

Thanks for the comments.

MikeK

By putting a heater control valve in, at least you won't cook your ankles in the summer as the heater can be isolated. Otherwise, even with the fan off, you'll still get some heat produced. However, with the recycling heaters, it draws the air in from the footwell as well so there is no benefit from running the fan with the heater off - other than to produce a slightly larger draft than there already is.

the control valve kit is available from Caterham (at an extortionate price compared to a scrappy) and takes 10-15 minutes to fit. One small hot in the bulkhead to take the cable (normally on the far off-side so that the cable comes out to the outside of the pedal box) and the valve is spliced into one of the heater hoses. Don't bother to drain as this is the highest point and any losses will be minimal during the time required to remove about an inch of hose and plug the holes with the valve.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!