Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Dry sumped K clutch

Peter Carmichael

Does anybody know if the spec of clutch is different for the dry sumped Ks. Just tried fitting a wet sump clutch on a dry sump car and the release arm locks solid as you bolt the engine onto the bellhousing.

Would I be right in remembering that you need an AP cover? Anybody have the part numbers to hand?

Pivot pin has apparently never changed spec on the K-series bellhousings and it gives a pivot point in exactly the same place as the other bellhousing I have to hand in the garage at the moment.

The old engine has gone, so I can't measure up but I am beginning to suspect that it was running like this for some time, because there are signs of distress on the release bearing face.

Tomorrow morning the clutch is going to Caterham for them to identify as the appropriate AP part. I can no longer see any other possibility than that the clutch is wrong.

Peter is this the old spigot bearing do da If you remember I posted some time ago about drilling the crank to allow the spigot bearing to recess deep enough and was laughed out of court as folk said that Caterham now shorten all their FMSs to avoid this But maybe there is a problem with older combinations *confused* No idea but have just compoleted an engine in out job for a customer 1600 K with massive spigot bearing failure the bearing was welded to the FMS and the engine and gearbox had to be seperated with 4 strategically placed wedges and lots of applications of brute force, which eventually withdrew the bearing permantly attached to the FMS. A new one to me but perhaps others may have a story to tell. *mad*

jj

Thanks for the input, but it still is a mystery. As far as I know we now have a complete up to date setup for the rear of the engine. Clutch/flywheel/release arm /CRB. The problem has been fully investigated with part assembly and reference to known working combinations. The slot in the dry sump bellhousing is much shorter than the wet sump and it might just be that the worn clutch took out all the remaining travel.

Now I just have the problems with belt alignment at the front of the engine to deal with...