Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

They all leak a bit of oil.

Paul White

Is that right?

My 20 month old classis 1800 Supersprint had an oil leak right from a couple of months old.

I took the car back to Dartford only to be told that "they all do that" and that it wasn't worth bothering about.

Yesterday I nearly got wiped out whilst overtaking some cars due to massive clutch slip, (this i feel is worth bothering about)

I'm pretty sure that the two are linked and feel that the factory has bluffed me into sorting out their problems.

I would be interested in hearing from anybody with similar experiences or advise.

Rub your hand under the lowest point of the clutch bellhousing.. IF.. there is oil there then the Engine's Mainseal is Leaking and has contaminated the Clutch facings rendering it Garbage. If no oil leak from there perhaps it's simply an adjustment.. but If memory serves These were the units that first introduced the "adjustmentless" clutch... another fine Ford technological advance.

I would in the least consider it important to determine exactly where the Leak is from.. if only for future reference.. and to prevent it being blamed for future 'problems'.. thereby wasting diagnosis efforts.

Good luck.

It seems to be between the engine & gearbox bellhousing.

Each time I go back to the car there is a small puddle beneath this point.

(the ever increasing oil stain on the garage floor is making it more difficult to pin-point!)

There doesn't seem to be any evidence of any oil further up and therefore I'm assuming it's the rear main.

I'd glady be proved wrong though!

Thanks Bare, I think you've just confirmed my assumptions.

Once the rear mainseal is replaced can the clutch be cleaned or is it throw away time?

P.S. it's a Vauxhall 8V OHC engined Supersprint. As much as I like to blaim Ford for everything!

There have been a fair few 1.6 and 1.8 VX's with this problem. Some have got Caterham to fix this.

I have never had this prob on the trusty 2.0 XE. Not sure if the seals are similar in design.

My VX or Opel engined road car is a 1.8 8V and again no probs. I reckon Caterham got a duff batch or something.

As for the clutch. I found the plate on my 6000miler clutch to be nearly new. They do not do much work in a 7 unless you clutch spin at every start.. They are good for pulling a Cavvy and caravan of course. I have a 'spare' on in the garage that had done 25000 miles on a 7 according to the owner and that looks a tiny bit worn. There should be a few mm clear of the rivets. I would reuse it all if it looks ok and you have not done 30000 miles in the 7 or something. There is clutch cleaning fluid around I believe. .

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 1 Jun 2003 18:13:47

So BARE, it couldn't possibly be the oil seal on the gearbox 1st motion shaft then? (You know the shaft that revolves in oil which never gets above ambient temperature....)??

Or are you talking garbage again???

OIL ON THE BOTTOM OF THE BELLHOUSING CAN COME FROM ANYWHERE, BECAUSE THE BOTTOM OF THE BELLHOUSING IS GENERALLY THE LOWEST POINT ON THE ENGINE/GEARBOX ASSY.

Its not unfeasible you could have worn the clutch out in 20 months - there are plenty of Sevens which can do a clutch in 5000 miles.......

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

Geez.. you still have a problem with this?? Suggest a Temp sender in yer Box's oil as a Visual aid as to it's actual temperatures.

Gearbox oil ain't pressurised in the G boxes normally fitted to 7's...

it won't "squirt' onto the clutch via the input shaft seal..and it certainly won't leave puddles onna floor, at least only a few times ;-)

In Truth it takes a pretty large leak to get onto the clutch facings.. Or a small steady leak over some time, but a puddle of oil is not a small leak. Either way the Clutch must come out (remember, it's slipping) Easy enough to inspect for oil conbtamination.. it ain't subtle. IF it is contaminated, don't try to resurrect the poor thing with cleaners..results are unpredictable.. It's too much work to do over again just to save the cost of a new disc.. which should be relatively inexpensive. If it's not 'Oiled' then start looking for genuine reason as to the slipping: faulty clutch hydraulics, faulty pressure plate (fairly common).

IF you have worn it right out you would have vivid memories of doing so.

Burnt clutch facings create a V Memorable Odour.

Regardless of what we summise, its going to have to come apart anyway to check/replace the clutch. That will indicate the source of the oil. In my experience of cross-flows I would say the balance of the probabilities are that its probably from the engine

Possibly that is ! *smile*

Edited by - Graham Perry on 2 Jun 2003 15:29:26

If no oil leak from there perhaps it's simply an adjustment.. but If memory serves These were the units that first introduced the "adjustmentless" clutch... another fine Ford technological advance.

You don't seem too familiar with Caterhams.

If the clutch is slipping then it has to come out. Oil contamination will be obvious. Driven plates are cheap enough that there's no point in not changing it.

One wonders how oil coming from the back of the engine can get onto the clutch facings.

FWIW Gear oil and engine oil smell quite different.

Paul

Even if the crankshaft rear seal has gone the oil won't, normally, get past the flywheel to contaminate the clutch. Assuming the clutch is slipping due to oil contamination, I would strongly suspect the gearbox input shaft seal is the culprit.

As Paul says the 2 oils smell quite different but either way it is an engine out job to replace the clutch. *thumbdown*

Whether it is engine or gearbox oil, it would still gather in the same place to drip out i.e. where the bellhousing mates with the engine but like I say whichever is the cause it is an engine out situation. Also I wouldn't try and clean the clutch friction plate, better to throw it away and replace.

Brent

Edited by - BRENT CHISWICK on 2 Jun 2003 17:43:40

Perhaps an easier method of determining if the oil is from the engine or gearbox, if you are unsure of the individual aromas, is to remove the starter motor (a 10 minute job) and look at the front face of the flywheel.

If it is covered in oil then it is almost certainly from the engine (which I doubt). If the front face is relatively dry and dusty then any leaking oil will almost certainly be from the gearbox.

Mind you, still an engine out job but at least you might be able to get the correct spares before you start.