Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel Tank Mods - Viability

Tazio

Tazio, Arnie, Chelspeed and anyone else who's interested. "Swirlpots according to my mate". My mate says that most swirlpots are 4 inch diameter tube, usually 6 to 7 inches long. Half a litre capacity is the minimum for engines up to 200 bhp. Three quarters of a litre to one litre is the norm. The swirl pot is fed by a low pressure pump or gravity fed if it can be placed under the main tank. This feeds the high pressure pump. After leaving the regulator it returns to the pot. Now this is the really important bit. The return line to the pump must have a 1 mm restrictor to maintain 2 to 3 psi pressure in the swirl pot. Failure to do this can result in problems. In-tank pots do not require a low pressure pump. Formula one swirl pots are about a foot long, two litres in capacity, are made of carbon fibre and reside in the fuel cell. The restrictor is a 0.5 mm hole drilled in the side of the tube. From being an advocate of external pumps I'm starting to think that in-tank is better unless you have the space for the swirl pot and don't mind the additional pump.

Ian, the concern about pumps running dry may not be such a big issue. The Weber and Bosch pumps that I like so much are fitted as standard to some road going cars. Surely people must run out of fuel on the road all the time. You don't hear of pumps giving up the ghost in Volkswagens.

AMMO

Edited by - AMMO on 24 Jan 2001 21:01:57

Thanks guys appreciate all the comments, I think I'll stay with my original view and go for the K series tank and R500 pump - assuming it is ok for a 235 spec VX...

And AMMO, if you are still interested in the original tank, let me know.

Alan

L7 FUN