Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ali rads

caterhamnut

Decided to replace our standard k-rad with an ali version after advice from PC and start of hot weather motoring etc etc

What are the choices - or is it only available from Caterham, or are their cheaper versions *smile* and is it a straight swap or do I need new hoses etc.

thanks

😬41,000 miles in 21 months! *cool* *thumbup*

angus@tinyworld.co.uk

Caterham pics

here

The Radtec ones, how much are they?

I have a standard rad (not ally) from '98 and running either a 74 or 78 degrees thermostat (can't remember). This rad is unable to keep the temps down, so any info about a replacement would be much appreciated. I don't expect the new one to be lighter, but if it is - all the better *biggrin*

What's Radtech's advice on the longevity of ali rads?

Any one had them fur up or is the K special coolant keeping them in working order?

I have heard that ali cored rads don't last very long. i.e. two seasons was one rad makers own words...

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Both my tin-tops have ali rads cores with plastic end caps (come to think of it, they have been this way for ages) so longevity can't be a function of the ali. Unless the ali end caps make a difference, or the rad design.

Chris....

H15 SVN Get it !

Angus, just out of interest, I know you have done a good few miles throughout Europe but have you actually had any overheating problems in that time?

The only reason I ask is that this is something I have been wondering about on my own car and, especially, with the forthcoming BB2 and the, hopefully, warm climate over there, I don't want to run into any problems either.

Brent

Brent - no. Temp needle never moved in 40 degree heat in Italy, even in long jams. Only problems in the past caused by dodgy thermostat or operator error!. Just want to be on the safe side. My 4 hour ride-giving afternoon on last years BB was non-stop. Other cars had to rest to cool down!!!

😬41,000 miles in 21 months! *cool* *thumbup*

angus@tinyworld.co.uk

Caterham pics

here

Edited by - angus&tessa on 2 Jun 2003 12:07:56

Angus

just fitted a 2nd hand Caterham one to my car, only thing to note (and this applied to Radtec ones as well) is that ont he normal rad, the tanks are top and bottom and the top hose connection is about 2 inches in from the edge, whereas on the Ali ones its only about 1 inch as the tanks are on the side. This will only be a problem if you have a Laminova oil cooler in your top hose, I had to move mine to the bottom hose but others managed to get them to fit on their sides rahter than flat.

Just come back from 828 miles of Coast 2 Coast run (as the only Caterham 😳) and the temperature was fine although I'd set the switch points too low on the Emerald so the fan was on a lot. Worked fine, unlike the start motor ☹️

Roy

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying *smile*

Happiness is knowing you have just a tad too much power *wink*