Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

VVC Tunning - Dave Andrews

Gadge

Gareth, where in Brum are you? I'm in Redditch and organise the Worcs locals. Come along to the next meeting and I'll talk all about DVA conversions. I've no experience of the VVC conversion but can comment about the general quality of his work and show you my VHPD conversion.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

V7 SLR

That sounds great. I should point out that I am looking for my first 7 (ideally a 1.6K Supersport or Superlight) as I intend to do a few trackdays but Caterham Midlands have a VVC in at the moment (Bright French Blue colour) which looks verty interesting - has LSD, dry sump and uprated brakes etc.

The reason for my posting is that a few people I've spoken to rate the 1.6K SS better than the VVC unit but it was just a thought that I could get more power if I intend to upgrade in the future from the VVC engine.

I live just north of Birmingham near Sutton Coldfield but my car (when I evetually decide/see the right one) will be kept in Lichfield - still fairly easy to pop round to your meetings though.

When is the next one?

Thanks

Gareth

V7 SLR

That sounds great. I should point out that I am looking for my first 7 (ideally a 1.6K Supersport or Superlight) as I intend to do a few trackdays but Caterham Midlands have a VVC in at the moment (Bright French Blue colour) which looks verty interesting - has LSD, dry sump and uprated brakes etc.

The reason for my posting is that a few people I've spoken to rate the 1.6K SS better than the VVC unit but it was just a thought that I could get more power if I intend to upgrade in the future from the VVC engine.

I live just north of Birmingham near Sutton Coldfield but my car (when I evetually decide/see the right one) will be kept in Lichfield - still fairly easy to pop round to your meetings though.

When is the next one?

Thanks

Gareth

Gareth

I assume your after views re tuning with the VVC bits still in place?, I have had Dave's VVC conversion, plus some additions, forged pistons inc new liners etc, and VHPD exhaust system, Apollo tank(with one way valve) as well, the forged pistons were put in to allow further upgrades in the future and are not req just for the VVC conversion.

I am very pleased with the conversion which makes a real difference to the drivability of the car, whilst it is significantly different below 4500 it takes off when the VVC mec modulates, Dave sells it as a 170bhp conversion, but has had 179 out of an Elise with the same conversion. I am intending to RR it at some point but have not done yet. Also Emerald are supposed to be producing an ECU for the VVC which would allow TB's to be used as well.

There seems to be some concern around about fueling issues, but Daves and similar conversions appear to be working well without such problems, however part of the reason for RR it is to check that mine is OK, it certainly feels as if it is.

As a VVC owner who thought I'd Cocked up by buying one, at least this gives a significant up grade with out the need to dump all the VVC bits, but allows for changing to solid cams in the future.

I think Daves (and similar) conversions ought to put paid to the "you can only bodge tune a VVC comments " which should help all those with VVC powered 7's

Mark Bennett

Gareth

It's worth talking to others who havent gone down the VVC route, the tuning options on the stn 1.6/1.8 is perhaps a bit less painfull in £ terms, but in my opinion DVA's conversion is very effecive,

I don't now regret buying a VVC, but i did at first when i realised that tuning it was going to be difficult, at least this way you can get the upgrade bug the same as everyone else!,

Mark

Gadge: Just thought I'd have my say:

I'm not in to engine tuning, I must admit, but the standard VVC is a cracking car. You've got torque all through the rev range, which makes it brilliant for road driving. You can squeexe the throttle in a bend, doesn't matter what revs you're pulling, and the car comes alive and accelerates to the next bend. Brilliant. I have driven an R300 as well, and whilst the R300 was quicker and handled better (probably my suspension settings and narrow front track), the VVC has a lot going for it in that beautiful spread of torque.

I've yet to take mine on track though, I confess!

Many thanks for all your replys guys - very helpful.

Nigel/V7 SLR - I'll try to make it over for the next Warks meeting, it would be good to talk 'Caterhams' in general.

I'll be taking the VVC at Caterham Midlands out this week for a test drive hopefully (Chris was a bit busy on Saturday).

cheers

what was the 'damage' in round figures for the Dave Andrews upgrade kits for the VVc K series . I love my vvc and I reckon it rocks 😬 but knowing what the options to upgrade it are ( considering the £6k turbo technics want for a supercharger ) would be good to know.

Zak

See my car here

Gadge - are you sure the car at Caterham Midlands is a VVC? I wasn't aware they could be dry sumped. Or is it a VVC head conversion with standard valve gear? Why not spend a little more and get the low mileage 2001 Crimson VVC from Caterham South - it's 6 1/2 years younger? It used to be mine and is in great shape. Good luck - the VVC is great in a 7.

Absolutely no hitchhikers *thumbdown*