Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Help with bleeding K series

Powderpuff

I know this has been done lots of times, but the search facility is off-line and I need help ☹️

Not a good day, my 7 has just got me to work and is overheating again ☹️

Fitted a new 82 deg thermostat and bled the system last night, all was ok, idled fine, thermostat opened, no temperature issues, and was fine in a test drive as well.

This morning is a different story *mad*, the thermostat seems to still be closd despite running over 100 degrees

What is the best way to bleed the air out of the system 😳

Is it possible without raising the front of the car, because my jack is at home *mad*

All (useful) comments appreciated.

• Support Team

Do you have a heater? If so I believe you will be able to get some air out of the top heater hose as this is the highest point of the cooling system.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

PP, sorry to hear about your problems. Is there a friendly fork lift in the neighboroughhood who could lift your front end up or a steep ramp to park on?

The point is, you must get the bleed hole as the highest

point in the system. When most of the water has gone in, try filling the remainder from the bleed hole. This way, if you have an air pockete trapped in the top of the radiator the water will displace it.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

You could always try pressure bleeding it - persuade one of your colleagues to blow into the expansion tank to expel the air from the water rail and heater matrix by disconnecting the bypass line from the rear of the water rail.

If you can find a decent slope to park the car on - then it's also worth checking the radiator bleed screw as well.

Gordon,

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble. If your car has overheated, it might be worthwhile changing the pressure cap as well. I spoke to my local Rover/Land Rover dealer who said they would vacuum fill for about £30. Not cheap, but £10 of that will be coolant.

Might be worth considering for piece of mind.

Are you sure that bleed hole in the thermostat is big enough?

Bacon Butty has come to my rescue ref. trailer, but thanks for your input.

Good luck.

Tom

FYI....

PP has let the car cool down and restarted it again...and yep it is overheating again ....it would seem that that the problem may be worse than hoped....a new head gasket may be in order.... watch this space.....

PP would have posted this but he is too busy trying to set light to the 7 in frustration *mad* He is stuck in a tin top.....in such lovely weather!!!!! 😬 😬

Bx