Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Hub Upgrade Pack 2003

Tyrone

Just purchased at great expense (for me anyway) and guess what no fitting instructions from Caterham. The old system appeared to be straightforward and the new one may well be the same. Has anyone fitted this upgrade and can provide me with a step by step in words or pictures.

Thanks

Brian

The kit costs £250 plus VAT and post. It includes 2 hubs with wheel studs, 2 spindles, 4 bearings, 4 circular retainers, 2 Castellated nuts, 2 split pins and no installation instructions *mad* I have called Caterham and they are faxing instructions to me.

The bearings are different to the Spitfire/Herald ones I am currently using but at present I cannot see what benefit the new design has over the existing. It may become apparent when I get the instructions.

The reason why I have had to purchase the kit is that I destroyed my nearside outer bearing on the way to Rockingham last weekend. Unfortunately I f***ed the inside of the hub, welded what remained of the bearing to the stub axle spindle and 'blued' the spindle and brake disc *mad*

Fixed it with a bearing bought from a guy racing a Herald and lots of help from MG X power support team. But because of the damage caused it cannot be regarded as a permanent fix.

Will post next week with my findings.

The hubs and stub axles are much stronger than the Herald components used to date - if anything the new kit is marginally heavier than the old alloy hub setup, but should take a bit more punishment.

Miraz

• 1 month later...

Tyrone - it's past next week now..... how did you get on?

I've just trashed a stub axle at Llandow (caught out by the kerbs I guess) and need to replace at least that one, need to decide whether or not to take the opportunity to upgrade.

Clearly this kit fits the existing upright, presume the wheel studs in the new hub are the same as the old ones (pcd and thread), presume the discs fit onto the new hubs in the same way. Erm, can't think of anything else that might need changing, can you confirm you just bought the new kit and swopped it? Any feel for how much heavier the new hubs are? Anything else I need to know?

Chelspeed,

I was writing a response to you when I think I got binned out by my works system. New hub assembly works great but I'll post a more detailed response tonight.

Apologies for not responding sooner.

Brian

Graham,

The hub upgrade was developed mainly for the racers who had problems with fracturing hubs and thus many reverted to the old cast iron hubs. The new hubs have stouter stub axles and stronger bearings. According to Jez Coates, these new hubs will/are de facto standard on all new Caterhams.

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell of Su77on Se7ens and Joint AO - Surrey

New hub assembly is relatively straightforward even for a low tech guy like myself. The new stub axles are a greater diameter than the originals and therefore heavier but also stronger (so kerbs may not be so problematic in the future!). The pcd and disc assembly on the new hubs are the same. Beware, Caterham did not send the bolts to attach the discs to the hub. I sourced these separately. Ideally you should use a press to insert the bearing runners. The bearings do not come with grease. I used Castrol LM. The castellated nut is is much larger than the original as is the split pin. It goes on finger tight but you need to hold it while threading on the lock nut at the other end, I used a 42mm socket. On the subject of the lock nut, mine was not threaded all the way onto the stub. A quick call to Caterham confirmed a half nut is required and a deuce of nuts was quickly despatched.

With the instructions the installation was relatively straightfoward. Both sides obviously need to be replaced and as with all these things the second side was installed with greater speed than the first.

Hope this makes sense. If anyone needs a copy of the installation instructions I have them as both word and pdf files.

Cheers

Brian

Chelspeed - also try James Whiting. He does some excellent CNC machines gold anodised front hubs that take either Ford or Ital pcd's. The red car now has these Seem to recall they are cheaper than Caterham but doubtless James could confirm whether there are any design differences. Certainly the weight saving over the cast iron hubs is about 4 tonnes (well, roughly...)

Andy

Hmmm I too replied yesterday but it's got lost....

The racers used small stub axles and alloy hubs just like the road cars. Then about 2 or 3 years ago the racers found cracks in the alloy hubs from the wheel stud holes to the outside. So they changed to the old fashioned steel hubs, note they were required to change rather than just permitted so it was all the same for everyone, the extra weight didn't matter.

Then last year I assume there were stub axle problems so Caterham developed a new stub axle wheel bearing kit that needed new hubs so they took the opportunity to develop new, presumably stronger, alloy hubs.

So you're both right.

I need a new hub and stub axle so will probably take the opportunity to change to the new set up. So a set of instructions by email would be nice, graham.ford@chelspeed.demon.co.uk