Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

5 SPEED S4?

Mark H

As very little is new in this life, Have any of you guys ever heard of anyone fitting a 5 speed box in a lotus S4 or for that matter any other engines excluding the twincam and crossflow *confused* 🤔

flares n, flames

Yes, I've seen a 5 speed hanging off the back of a Lotus Twin-Cam, and I've seen a Toyota Twin-Cam and 5 speed, both in S4s. A Toyota 3SGE might fit, they're good for 220bhp with cams and compression done.

I always thought I might put a rotary in an S4 but now that I have got one I just can't imagine replacing that lovely bright red big valve, even if the output is puny!

Edited by - paul w on 29 May 2003 21:46:07

Nifty, now theres an idea *tongue*, if i do atempt it i would use a type 9. Steve the diff in the car at the moment is a 3.7 It had a 4.1 😳,as for the box i don,t know its history other than it started life as a rocket but now has very low ratios . Top gear in this is more like 3rd in any other car ,it is more of a drag racer , not a good long distance tourer.

ZETEC 5 SPEED S4 sounds rather good 😬

flares n, flames

Suggest the Toyota drive train.. it's got a reliability that is Impressive (unmatched ?).. Easy enough to Respray the Toyota's Cam Covers with Red WrinklePaint.. Looks lots more impressive than the old twin cam Cover, so no worries on that account.