Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tacho removal

Myles

Just spoken to Caterham aftersales regarding my amazing backwards revcounter (from a dodgy batch in early 2001 fitted to early EU3 k-series and Academy cars - the needle reverses at high revs).

They will swap the unit for me - I've just got to get it to them (including nuts/bracket).

I didn't build the car and don't have a build manual - is it an easy job to do with the dash in situ, or had I better wait until next weeks service (*not* at Caterham) - in which case I might have trouble putting it back???

I would just go and look at the bl**dy car, but it is an hours drive away...

Thanks!

Myles

yes it is very simple

feel behind the tacho and you will find 2 round nuts that you can simply unscrew,they will be on 2 threaded bits of metal sticking out the back of the tacho

then there is one connector to unplug, but this is easier if yuo just pull the tacho out first *smile*

where abouts are you, I have a 'spare' you could borrow whilst caterham send you a replacement if you want

rob *smile*

Oh good - sounds easy enough for little me!

Thanks for the offer - It would be great if I could borrow a spare, but if it's too much hassle to coordinate then I'll be OK.

The car lives in Cheltenham - but I am based near Stratford-upon-Avon in Warks. If that's inconvenient, then I'm sure I can live without the counter until Caterham sort it out.

Regds,

Myles

Supplementary:

What is the thingy that looks like an LED half a radius between the needle spindle and the top of the dial? Is this a shift light - if so, why isn't it connected already? (I have an EU3 spec engine - I believe from other postings that the ECU has pins waiting for shift lights...)

Regds,

Myles

The nuts on the back of the tacho don't need a spanner. They are knurled thingies to be undone by hand.... unless Caterham's answer to Schwartzenegger did them up!

The extra LED you mention is indeed a shift light. It's only activated on the higher spec'd K series. On my 140hp 1.8K it wasn't activated but I designed some circuitry to make it work. It was already connected to the ECU, but the ECU's not programmed for it on mine, so I took a feed off the tacho input and used some electronics to run it.

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Roadsport unfortunately.

Only owned it a week and I'm suffering from powerlust already.

Confused about the ecu (EU3 spec) output (on pin 59?) though - where do aftermarket shiftlights get their drive from? Would I find it similarly difficult to fit one of these instead of wiring the existing tacho light?

I'm not a rev monkey (yet), but from the coupla hundred miles I've put on the car so far, I can see that some sort of light would be 'andy.

Myles

Myles,

I have an EU3 Supersport 1600 with the additional shift light loom. I replaced the tacho myself - and I live the Cheltenham side of Gloucester. If you want to pop round I will happily show you how to do all of this...

Give me a call on 07767 898698 if you need help.

Brian

Myles

As to where do after market shifte lights derive their input...... I mentioned this in my earlier post. You can pick up from the tacho input (black/white wire). It carries +6v square pulses at exactly twice engine speed. I don't know if all after market jobbies do this, but I did and it works great.

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Chris - sorry, didn't notice or absorb the bit about the drive.

Bl0498 - I was going to pick the car up this afternoon (I live nr. Stratford on avon), rip out the tacho to send back to Caterham and have a bit of a blast - but I ran out of time and don't think Caterham would have got the replacement back to me by EOD Tuesday anyway.

I'll probably be out for a blat tomorrow early afternoon-ish though - dunno if you're out for a drive in the area (i.e. nr. Cheltenham where the car lives) - it is a roadsport though 😳 - there seems to be some doubt as to whether the ECU drives a shift light at all *confused*

Regds,

Myles