Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Dry sumping a vvc

Rick W

Since the search facility isn't currently working I thought I'd start from scratch.

I'm trying to gather as much info as I can to help make a decision. What are the experiences in this connection? My research to date suggests two possibilities, either the Caterham system with the necessary amendments to car/system to make it fit or else the Pace system. However, when I spoke to Caterham they said don't do either 'cos the vvc gubbins could get the hump big time. But on my (limited) understanding I'd have thought a d/s system would provide a more reliable oil supply to all parts so...

Or would an Apollo provide almost as much protection for a lot less.

Am anticipating doing a good number of track days.

Too much is just right

I asked this question a while ago and there are several people out there with dry sumped VVC cars running the caterham system, I run with an appollow and a sump from a 1.4K which is apparently deeper than the one caterham fit to the VVC engines,

No problems so far on many track days and sprints, I also run a Laminover heat exchanger to keep the temp down to about 110

Simon

Considering the pressure pump in the Caterham dry sump system is the normal pump, the oil delivery cannot be of any concern to the VVC mech. What might be of concern is that Caterham dry sumped Ks are normally sealed. If this is the problem I would just run a vent at the cam cover, which I advise anyway.

Simon,

Thanks; sorry for sounding dumb but I'm assuming you're running a vvc? What is the ground clearance like with the deeper sump? This sounds like it could be an interesting possibility.

I also have every intention of fitting a Laminova - in fact, this is one of the reasons for the posting as I need to decide what fittings are necessary (eg Apollo or d/s).

Too much is just right

Jack,

Thanks, Miraz has already suggested that (off line) so that's a lead I'll definitely follow up (I sound like a policeman on Crimewatch *smile*). Could you let me know a bit about the system eg cost and reliability - did you have it installed?

Too much is just right

Rick

yes I am running a VVC which I put in to replace my 1.4, so I just swapped the sumps, not too good ground clearance at about 55mm without me in it, but I have never hit anything except speed bumps of course

simon

Peter,

Thanks, that is good and interesting news. Forgive me though, what is the reason for that? I'm interested in a Laminova not just for regulating oil temperature on track days but for quicker oil warm up so when going out for a blat I can cane it that much earlier.

Rick

Too much is just right