Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearboxes

Nick M

Anyone used a Tran-X gearbox ?

I'm going to be replacing my standard Type 9 with a straight cut close ratio box of some description. The obvious one is Quaife but BGH (of Caterham 6 speed fame) also seem to be well regarded.

The only other company I can think of is Tran-X but I don't really know enough about their gearboxes to know whether they're worth considering.

Any comments, or other suggestions, welcomed.

Nick

Try Steve Parks of SP Components 01527 894232 he did or still does gear boxes for Caterham, W*******d and others and has a close relationship with quafe and does some semi helical gear sets which have most of the advantages of the straight cut gears but a lot less noise and sorted ratios to suit a light 7 type car.

paul

Depends how loud it is - going to have a play with a car fitted with a straight cut box so if it's really unpleasant I might have a rethink.

Spoke to Tran-X this morning - sounds as though it's a decent bit of kit and the prices aren't too silly. They also have a bit more scope in the choice of first and 5th gear ratios which might be useful to avoid over-gearing the car.

I have a quaife straight cut 5 spd in my caterham, and its not THAT loud.

You cant really hear it when you're cruising in 4th or 5th, its fairly noticable through the lower gear when you're nailing it (same sort of noise as reverse makes in a normal car)

Tran-X can be found at www.tran-x.com.

Phone number is 024 7645 9757

They're located in Coventry. Had a chat with them this morning and they seemed v. helpful. They also have some gear kits with slightly different ratios to Quaife which are more suited to lighter cars. Also had a chat about LSDs and they have lots of experience of setting up plate type diffs for W*******ds and C******ms.

Definitely worth a call.