Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Is that oxygen I'm sensing?

Colin R

I'm in the middle of installing a Zetec with EFI into an XF chassis and am trying to find a sensible way of installing the oxygen sensor for the ECU. I'm using the same air filters that were on the old webers (K&N's) and I'm supposed to drill a hole in one of the backing plates between the throttle bodies (TWM's) and stuff the sensor inside the filter box area. There doesn't appear to be enough room to do it, though. How crucial is it that the sensor be right next to the openings of the throttle bodies? Can I mount it underneath the filters on the outside? Any ideas for alternatives would be appreciated. So far beer and time have not shed light on the problem. I'm thinking about utilizing even more beer and time, but that may not get me anywhere.

Well you are sensing more nitrogen than Oxygen *wink*

Hmmm, Trickier in a 7 Rob. The whole engine bay get warm.

Mines tiewrapped on to the top of the lower chassis rail quite a way from the engine but it still reads more then the amb temp after a good blat.

you could change the air temp compensation map to suit though.

The backing plate to the airbox / airfilter holder is a bad option. Gets too warm in there

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 27 May 2003 20:29:48

hehe my air temps get to a whopping 40 degrees steve (and sometimes more *eek* )

i really should get a scoop or louvres put in *confused*

i think tho that it should be as close to the trumpets as possible since thats what the temp of the air actually is entering the engine...i could have slung mine at the front bumper or something, but thats not gonna be what temp of air the engine is seeing. anyhoo, i dont think it needs to be precisely placed.

I had the same problem when I first installed my Zetec a few years ago and found there was just about enough room to get it on the K & N backplate if you drill a hole between the trumpets and just above the filter media. It's tight but it will fit 😳

It won't get too warm in that position as there is plenty of airflow at ambient temperatures being pulled in by the carbs which are only a whisker away.

I wouldn't leave it out in the engine bay as it tends to get covered in all manner of crud and start to give false readings.

Brent

Edited by - BRENT CHISWICK on 28 May 2003 08:40:53

Wrong in my experience Brent. The laptop was showing way to warm temps in that position.

The airbox ali plate gets warm under use and is well back from the open airflow the air filter is in.

Rob, On a 7 the airbox is in the direct flow of clean air. This is what the air temp sensor should be exposed to. Different on your car I agree.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Hmmm, didn't find that to be so with mine Steve. The length of the air temp sensor put the actual sensing tip very near the opening to the trumpets and if you put it in the front filter, most of that is sticking out of the bonnet anyway.

It is, in fact, in that position on my current setup, mounted on an ali. plate and poking into the back of the filter and the temperatures I was seeing when setting up the Emerald, even with the car in the garage, weren't particularly high. I do believe the volume of air being pulled into the trumpets is sufficient to keep that area relatively close to ambient.

For sure if the engine is warm and the temperature taken after a few minutes, there will be a lot of heatsoak into everything around the engine bay but this soon cools down once on the move again.

Forgot to say that the sensor, itself, is probably insulated from the ali. plate to a certain extent by fibre washers on my installation.

Brent

Edited by - BRENT CHISWICK on 28 May 2003 09:14:25