Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CCC Article on TB's

Harry Flatters

QED tell me that sometime during 2000 there was a report in CCC that compared QED & SBD (amonst others and on what cars I don't know)TB upgrades. Does anybody (a)remember which issue it was in or (b)have a copy they could fax me.

CCC will send me one if I can tell them which issue it is.

Steve Mell

PTM 88

Std Vaux will fall off cams before it breaks and dies.

Rods are good for 8200rpm

Crank is good for 8750rpm

Pistons are good for 8750rpm

Unusually its thye top end which dislikes the speed.

Hydraulic lifters are good for only 7500rpm (act like a rev limiter!)

Solid lifers raise this up to 9500rpm if you get some nice light ones....

Std cams off the boil at 7200rpm

At the time the article in CCC was written SBD were spending a lot of money on advertising. Need I suggest why they were rated so highly???

Arnie Webb

Organiser- L7C Le Mans Trip

To book for this years Le Mans Trip see The Le Mans Trip Website

Its nearly full!!!

Come on Arnie, isn't it time to stop this constant sniping at SBD?? You had a very bad experience but others, me amongst them, have nothing but good to say about SBD. Accept it, **** happens with anyone. It was a long time ago, both you and SBD have no doubt learnt lessons out of the incident so isn't it time to let it lie?

Re throttle bodies - the group test of carbs, throttle bodies etc was carried out on QED's dyno and featured carbs and both QED and SBD throttle bodies. If it was going to be biased then it would have been against SBD in favour of QED. I think it was earlier than 2000, I'll have a hunt around.

You could tell it was a Caterham engine by the long nose dry sump pump, I wondered at the time who's it was.

Steve re throttle pot - That was another article, a road test of 2 westies, one was an SBD engine and had a dicky thottle pot, forget what the other car was.

Graham

Anyone who works in S&M (thats sales and marketing Anna) will know that when it comes to the technical press there are oh so rarely influenced by the advertising revenue stream!

Anyway I am a lot quieter than I used to be in respect of my £6000 loss incurred through SBD's incompetence.

Maybe I just had expectations that work would be done properly, and the guarantee that was verbally explained would be upheld rather than "vigoursly denied" in the event of a claim.....

It wasn't just me either - Harry Hockley had 3 engines do same!

Arnie Webb

Organiser- L7C Le Mans Trip

To book for this years Le Mans Trip see The Le Mans Trip Website

Its nearly full!!!