Click here if you are having website access problems ×

strange k-series problem

olij

Hi All,

I don't know wjy my car is doing this, any help would be much appreciated.

It's a 93 1400 supersport which just cuts out intermittently coasts to a stop. the only way that i have found I can get it going again (without fail) is to take the fuel cap off then put it back on again. It has happend about 9 times *mad* whilst i have been trying to find the problem and this is the only thing that will get it going again.

It also has a strange idling problem that developed at Brooklands - idle rises and falls or sits at 2K, or is perfectly OK - can't predict which one it will be. could the problems be related?

if anyone has any suggestions then I'd be keen to read them, thanks!

Oli

Hi Oli,

The idle problem sounds like the one that I and loads of other 1400K SS people have on here, darned frustrating, not found a cure yet and have replaced loads of sensors etc. Search back through looking for things like 'K Series Idle' etc.

The cutting out problem does sound like the vent, can't remember wether the cap is vented or not though if they are the same as a Metro cap they are I think or was that the mk1 metro cap, perhaps someone could clarify.

Ashley Webster.

1400 Supersport

Thanks for your replies.

I took out the fuel tank breather valve (if I checked the right thing, then it is in the pipe coming down from the fuel filler neck, going under the boot floor), put it back in and then went for a blat for about half an hour and the problem never reappeared, so fingers crossed. I also thought that after brooklands I may have dislodged a bit of gunk in the fuel tank going around the cones and that is now floating about in the tank. I will have to wait and see I guess.......

thanks again for your replies - very much appreciated.

Oli

I've changed everything except the ECU (£££'s), Crankshaft position/rotation sensor (££'s) and that small box of tricks (which I can't remember the name of) that sits under the ECU (££'s) i'm dubious as to wether it has anything to do with this problem anyway. The throttle pot was replaced when I changed the whole body from plastic to metal, if you haven't done this remember 2 things firstly these items come up on ebay from time to time (save ££'s) and secondly there is a small (minimal 1 or 2hp ?) upgrade to be gained from fitting the MGF Trophy 52mm body assy, although the change from plastic to metal is a great improvement flow wise.

Last year I had the ECU interrogated (for free !) by the local Rover bunch (Faraday Newbury) but no faults/alarms were flagged, they seemed a bit non-plussed by the fact that my car had a K series in it and all stood around looking at it with the bonnet off as if it was the holy grail or something, highly amusing. It scared me to see a laptop in such a working environment and it seemed to be a struggle to get it all to work, the discs were cracked and covered in oily finger prints and I felt glad I could be there with the car whilst this was being carried out, however as I say they did it for free at lunch time and I was very grateful for this, not sure if all Rover garages would be so generous.

Ashley Webster.

1400 Supersport

Mine's fitted with metal body.

I too had mine on a diagnosis machione, my mate has one, and we couldn't find any faults although the engine would play up whilst driving, intermittently. Jason (the mate) did say something regarding the crankshaft sensor but at the moment it's not too bad.

Worst problem is that occasionally when you really give it some teddy it doesn't back off immediately you lift your foot. Unnerving if whipping back into a queue after a quick leap frog manoeuvre and car wants to pull into back of car in front!!

same problems here on a 1.4SS, problems posted many times, look in the archive.

Never have found the problem and have done the usual 52mm body, MFU, IACV, battery, coolant temp sensor etc...etc... etc... In the end at the worse mine would sometimes do a 4000rpm idle !! Cost me a fortune to never find the problem.

Last I remember was the ECU was my next suspect.

Academic now as I did a big end at Cadwell...............

stupid I know as I'm new to this game................

BUT i had exessive idle speed & curedths by reducing the tension on the air filter (I'd knocked off the air filter when 'fiddling' so TIGHTENED IT SO IT WOULDN'T COME LOOSE AGAIN - down side was it reved like f*** but the filter didn't move. I've now loosened it & don't touch the air filter & all seems OK?

rog

rog

C7 TNT

>>Worst problem is that occasionally when you really give it some teddy it >>doesn't back off immediately you lift your foot. Unnerving if whipping back >>into a queue after a quick leap frog manoeuvre and car wants to pull into >>back of car in front!!

Yes, I get this too and it's dangerous.

Anyone got a cure?

Doesn't seem to happen on same engine in Metros. Or is it only the SS that does this in 7s and not the standard 1.4?

Jerry Parker

L7SVN

1.4 Supersport

Gents, I am not farmiliar with the 1.4 ss, wether it has TBs or a standard injection system. However if it has a standard injection system the erratic idle and failure to back off/stall may be due to the air flow valve/butterfly valve in the air intake housing . I had the same fault on a Citreon AXGTI a few years back, which no garage could sort.Eventually found it myself. Over time the valve and its housing gets pitted with dirt etc, causing the valve to stick open/closed, thus cocking up the idle etc. As part of my 6K service I would remove the air filter and clean all the burrs and dirt from around the valve with scotchbrite(green scourer pad). Ifyou also put your fingers inside the air intake you can open the valve manually and ensure the edges of the valve are burr free. I also used to remove the valve actuator and clean it. This sorted the snag 😬. If however your 1.4ss does not have such a set up I have waisted 20 minutes of my life telling you how to fix an AXGTI 😬 🙆🏻 Any way hope this helps 🤔 Let me know, and at least I will be more familiar with the different engines.(Only had my 1.8K X power for 8 months so still learning!!) Cheers Rob.

Thanks for suggestion , Rob.

Had the air filter off recently and intake looked clean as a whistle, but I'll take a look.

AX GT(I)s - great fun and very 7-like, gaining speed and agility through lightness.

Jerry Parker

L7SVN

1.4 Supersport

My old 1400 SS engine could be made to misbehave if you over-tightened the jubilee clip retaining the air filter. Distorted the plastic body causing items to stick/jam etc.

I had a problem with lousy low speed throttle and pick-up below 2000 rpm which I traced to the chip in the ECU. New (pre-owned!) box sorted it!!!

Good luck!

Clamshell Club Founder Member.

The engine cannot sustain any RPM without air.. so its likely that when the idle soars air is entering the einge via the IACV , throttle plate (throttle sticking) or via an air leak. Since it is an intermittent problem an air leak is unlikely. To diagnose if it is the IACV, disconnect the electrical plug from it when the engine is idling cleanly then take it for a drive, if the problem dissapears then its the IACV. If your engine has a stepper motor operating the idle RPM then disconnect this instead.

Oily

Hi Oil J

Can the fuel tank vent? If you can cure the problem by opening the petrol cap, it sound like a tank venting problem to me. Have you got a charcoal canister fitted? If you have got a charcoal canister look here

Chris....

H15 SVN Get it !

Hi Chris, I think it was a venting problem - I took the one way valve that is in the fuel breather pipe off and stuck some thick wire in it (very gently of course). Whatever is inside the valve clicked free - it felt like a spring loaded plate or something. anyway, problem hasn't reoccurred since so I guess that could have been the problem.

thanks for you help

Oli