Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Sump removal

HACker

I thought I'd do some simple DIY - replace sump baffle in my 1600K SS. I'm almost a mechanical novice - but the instructions are simpe enough, so I:

Drain oil - easy *wink*

Put car on axle stands - bit of fafing about deciding where to put them *wink*

Remove sump - stuggled with allen key held in mole grips for extra leverage to remove 12 0f 14 caphead bolts refered to in the manual, but manged *wink*

Dither whether the other 2 bolts are the obvious horizontal 8mm ones from the bell housing or the 2 vertical hidden (sorry recessed) 6mm ones at the bell housing end of the sump *confused*

Opt for the hidden ones and remove - does sump fall off? No - OK - try a little leverage - movement at the front and oil seeping out of joint - rear solid as a rock *mad*

Two questions:

Have I removed the right bolts? If no what have I undone *confused* If yes what am I not doing get the bl**dy thing off?

When I put the thing back the bolts are supposed to be tightened to 6 lb/ft - how do I attach an allen key to a torque wrench?

What order should they be tightened in? The manual usefully doesn't say.

OK -that's not 2 questions. Sorry to be such a dimbo, baut any help very welcome.

Sounds like you've done them all except the two horizontal ones from the bellhosing to sump which need to be removed!

for refitting you need an Allen key socket, I've got one if you need it but just do them up tight, not too tight *smile*

In terms of order I would start in the middle and work towards the end, although it's probably not massively important

Mark

That had occurred to me too, but the manual says 14 not 16 bolts, naive of me to assume that it might mean what it says.

Thanks for the offer Mark, but you’re about 150 miles too far away.

There’s a tightening sequence for the cam cover, so I thought… I’ll give up thinking and do.