Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Still got a squeaky clutch

Gary G

Symptom:

Engine off, depress clutch, which then squeaks.

I've replaced the clutch cable (shows tiny signs of wear, but nothing serious) and lubricated the pivot where the pedal sits.

It still squeaks!!

I think the squeak may be coming from the lever at the gearbox end that the clutch cable pulls, but this is where my knowledge/ability ends.

What should I do next?

Sit someone else in the car and have them repeatedly depress and release the clutch pedal while you try to find the source of the noise. Take and pedal box cover off so that you can see what's happening.

At the gearbox end there isn't much you can do. The clutch lever has three interfaces with other bits:

at the inboard end where it clips into a pin that helps locate it and acts as the inner pivot.

in the middle where the release bearing clips in

at outboard end where the cable clips in

None of these are likely to squeal and if they are the cause I don't think you can get at them without removing the engine. And if it's at the outboard end I would have thought you would noticed at least some sort of change just from changing the cable.

If I remember correctly the pivot at the pedal has a bronze bush that's a loose fit into the pedal and then there's the bolt that acts as pivot for both the clutch and brake pedals. Sometimes the bronze bush rotates with respect to the pedal and sometimes with respect to the bolt. I would have thought lubricating both friction surfaces and the ends of the pivot where they contact the side of the pedal box and the brake lever pivot would have cured it...

Edited by - felix.klauser on 25 May 2003 21:30:56

Thanks Felix. I'm pretty certain it's coming from the clutch lever. Since I've changed the cable and am confident that it's one of the other 2 that you mention further inside, I'm going to ignore it, since it's not worth taking the engine out to sort it.

Thanks!

Gary, I had exactly the same problem. It was driving me nuts. I discovered that If you take off the pedal cover under the bonnet and turn the spring round so that the body of the spring sits on the other side of the pedal it will cure it. It did mine anyway.

*thumbup*