Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Speedo advances....Does yours?

Mr Locust

On the latest type (Caerbont Automotive) analogue/electronic speedo does anyone else find that the odometer advances mysteriously when turned off and on again. Admittedly it is usually only 1/10 mile but I have seen over a mile on occaisions.....

1. Do they all do it?

2. What about those limited blatting miles of insurance I am giving away?

3. Does it comply with construction and use regs to give an accurate odometer reading +- whatever percent accuracy? (Given that a journey of less than 0.1 mile is possible and an error of 0.1 mile would be 100% error)

My car is now fitted with a replacement speedo and sensor head under warranty but behaves exactly as the unit which was returned. The original got to about 8 miles without the car leaving the garage - my garage is not that big by the way.

When on the move the unit appears to be pretty accurate when checked by gps and by speed rollers at sva.

Simon Lambert was looking into it but as yet no answer so I thought I'd ask the experts......chalk the mileage on the garge wall after the next blat and see what happens next time.

Mine does exactly the same... notching up 1/10ths of a mile every time you switch the ignition on. As you say, if you're playing around fitting something new and switching the ignition on and off a lot, you can notch up quite a journey by the end of the day!

I also checked the accuracy of my speedo against what it should read mathematically vs the revs given the gear ratios, final drive ratio and tyre/wheel combination. I found it to be extremely accurate (only took it to about 80mph) in contrast to many posts I have seen on Blatchat. eg: it should read 79mph in 4th with my 5 speed gearbox and 205/45/16 wheels @ 4500rpm and it was cock-on.

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp see it here