Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Avon CR322 Pressures

Apothecary

Need some pressure advice please ......

My car has the Caterham standard issue Avon CR322 road tyres front and rear (185 / 70R).

Whats the best pressure to inflate these at to give the best balance between ride and grip on road 🤔

They sit on a LA 1600Vx car.

Paul

Paul, we race with these wonderful tyres in the Graduates championship. There is much debate about what pressures to use. Some say 20psi all round others run at around 30 all round others run with different front and rear. I have tried pretty much most settings and it never seems to make that much difference frankly so these days I just run with 20 all round - it worked for last year's champion so if its good enough for her its good enough for me.

They are after all a road tyre so I think they are designed to work over a wide range as they know the average driver rarely checks tyre pressures. John P.

Stuart, you'll be telling me next that Rachel was running with a vacuum in the tyres! I think I need to buy you both a few beers at Snetterton to get the real story on the best pressures to run with. Mind you, unless I can manage to stay in the race for more than the 39 seconds I managed at Pembrey, tyre pressures are somewhat academic. John P

I can't say what the 'best' pressure is (I've had too many debeates with people who have told me what's best), but we ran between 20 and 22psi *hot*. However, I know a lot of people run higher successfully, and certainly the experts in the academy believe that anything sub 25 is undriveable, so who knows.

Oh, and you don't need an excuse to buy me a beer *tongue*

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

Gents - you've missed the point. The question is about ride vs grip on the road, not on the track in a race. I'd go with Ross's suggestion of 18psi as a good enough place to be for a country blat.

Fot the record - I used 322's in last year's Academy, and people were all using high 20s, low 30s Hot in the dry, and dropping to low/mid 20s in the wet. The higher pressures are more to do with getting the sidewall stiff enough, rather than optimising contact patches. With the SuperGrads this year, the CR500s' sides are stiff enough to be able to run much lower pressures to ensure an optimum contact patch.

Dan.

Thanks to everybody for this; it seems like 18psi gets the vote.

However, on reading up a bit more on grip in the wet WRT road use, I decided to go to George Polley and invested in Yoko AO21R's instead - a big difference in handling although I appreciate the fun the CR322's can be *eek*

If anyone is interested in a set of nearly new CR322's for academy use (less that 800 miles and nearly full tread & no wall damage) at a bargain price then look out in the 'for sale' section soon !

Thanks again for your advice.

Paul

Paul

As luck would have a colleague of mine passes through Bracknell when travelling down. He could pick them up on Sunday and drop off the cash if thats agreeable. Could you give me your address to confirm he is not going too many miles out of his way.

thanks

Mike