Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Which sequential box?

Julian Thompson

Thinking about buying a sequential box for K series.

What's the one like in the demon tweeks book? It is a Quaife one which will according to the info in the catalog fit straight into the 7 with no mods. Is this true?

Will this be reliable and easy to use or are they a pain in the arse?

I like it. Mines a 5 speed Quaife sequential dog box. It wasn't a direct swop but pretty easy, some mods to the stick needed. Others think it's less refined than some other sequentials but I havn't found this at all. I'd try it first. What box are you replacing?

"Margin on Road Angels must be good."

Oh yes, just great Paul. And those seven tubes on Autosol went for £200 a tube so that'll help too.....

Anyhow.

I'm thinking of replacing the 6 speed box, for no other reason than I like the idea of a sequential change. What other boxes can I choose from and why?

Got the 6speed sequential Quaife dog box in since three weeks. It´s rough, noisy, slightly more heavy, only minor mods to the chassis (one hour work)and it doesn´t make you faster

BUT

IT`S BRILLIANT FUN! !!!! 😬

If you buy one get it from Montgomery Motorsport in Irland, he´s doing the best prices on them, definitly. Much less than DT.

You can find some more pictures on www.mog-racing.de about the installation of the gearbox.

Marius

Julian,

I almost second Marius's comments, but I do think you get faster changedowns where you would normally move across the H shift. With the Seq you do not need to worry about getting the wrong gear!

Yep its noisy, but the noise is like Led Zep - great lound but maybe an aquired taste....

Fitting requires simple mods to the lever, and the Caterham needs the version with the std selector position , not the one designed for Westies.

My only other comment is that it begs to be thrashed, and driving without working it hard does lead to missed gears. When thrashing it though, I haven't yet missed a gear, and that is perhaps when its best not to.

Go on.......buy one.....

Don't get the overdrive one either or you'll need a 4.44 diff!

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

Edited by - Fat Arnie on 27 May 2003 23:50:18

OK I'm excited;

Dave

Forgive me but I don't know where you ended up last time? Perhaps you could let me know which thread to read + a teeny "advert" for your box, just for me?

Arn

Sounds good, do you know how much heavier it is since I don't like heavy things *wink*?

Marius,

I found the installation you have slowed the car down as the short gears were taller.

PC will now tell everyone it makes do difference, but I reserve the right to argue indefinatley.

Julian, On the weight thing (in kgs)....

Caterham 6 Speed box, with oil, hydraulic release bearing assembly, quickshift and R500 gearknob 34.15

Quaife 6 speed sequential, selector mechanism, hydraulic release bearing assembly, no oil 36.66

Weights measured on the wifes best digital scales.....

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

Julian,

Converted racing sequential transaxle.

5 speed currently plus reverse gear.

Billet aluminium casing (Soon to be cast)

S156 steel gears i.e. Not the cheap Quaife 'cream cheese' variety.

Choice of 35 gear sets

Choice of drop gears

Only 20 kgs

260 ft lb torque capacity minimum i.e. Much higher than Caterham 6 speed

£3K + Vat

Excludes linkage (HTR made mine) and requires longer slider prop @ around £200.

I've made a simple mod to my car allowing the box to be removed through the car in 15 mins.

I've fitted a strain guage to my lever which is linked to my Motec ECU allowing powershifts.

Puts up with my c 300 bhp BDX engine and sub 6 second 0-100 mph times no problem.

To be honest it makes me cringe to even think that the Quaife box is in the least bit comparable with this 'proper piece of engineering'.

Home of BDR700

Edited by - edmandsd on 28 May 2003 21:08:46

It utilises the same proven gear set/sequential mechanism as a transaxle but is converted to an inline application by losing the diff and adding a pair of drop gears basically. Mike Endean of Xtrrac fame did the same thing successfully with some Hewland boxes a few years ago.

Home of BDR700

Dave

Many thanks. 20KG 😬 *thumbup* *wink*

This is the one then. I love light things!

The only slight issue I now have is that we've just seen a new house which will require a wodge of stamp duty ☹️ so I need to be gentle with my spending promises over the next few weeks until I know whether we're moving!

How long would it take to get one should I choose to go ahead?

Do you have any pix?

Cheers

On Friday I had a powershift/flatshift system provisionally set up on my sequential box, using a strain guage on the lever linked into the Motec ECU (M48 professional). A system such as this really highlights the advantages of a sequential box over a conventional H pattern one (dog or synchro). The shift times now vary between 30 and 50 milliseconds depending on which gear change it is. I have to say that the sound and speed of change is simply staggering *eek*. Although the strain guage is bloody dear at £370 plus Vat this is a cheaper alternative to buying complete after market systems *thumbup* Can't wait to get it on the drag strip as initial calculations suggest that this will save me about 0.25 secs 😬

Home of BDR700

Edited by - edmandsd on 31 May 2003 17:56:42

My box required a small 1 inch square modification to the gear lever cover.

In 6 weeks the 'new' box with the sequential mechanism running along the top of the box will require no such mod.

I'll get you some photos shortly.

Dave - got any details of the strain gauge knobby? How tall is it? I've been trying full throttle shift with a button built into the knob, grab the knob and dab the button, but it's not quite the same as having it all in one.

It's from The Strain Guage Company Graham. It's about 3 inches long and 1 inch diameter (It's got a titanium look to it and you'd never know what it is unless you knew in advance). Richard at Powerstation will sort you out one and set it up if req'ed. He knows you - you're only down the road apparently....small world *smile*

Home of BDR700