Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine change

Real-Stig

Most people know my views on the Zetec by now, it is much the easier option and in 'road-tune' at least the equal of the Vx. That is what I would go for but then I am biased! And there are manifolds available if you decide to keep the 40 DCOEs'. In stock 2L form you are looking at 165Bhp plus oodles of torque.

Brent

Edited by - BRENT CHISWICK on 17 Jan 2001 13:25:41

I am currently speaking to James Whiting re: Zetec myself.

He WILL sell you the pros of the Zetec.

Give him a call 01784 241466 ... make sure you have some time available, he loves the subject and he very happy to chat.

Wayne Rogers

Hampshire

Ah, Brent. As soon as I saw this posting I knew you'd try and further the cause of the Zetec! As there aren't many Z/tec owners, you want to swell the ranks (no, it's not rude!).

Take Mike's advice and go 'K' (but be careful how you say that !)

CPC........Proud to be 'K' !!!!!!!

And in the interests of balance, I'm gonna tell you that the only engine worth considering is a Vx 2.0L xe. It will give you lots of power, lots or torque, plenty of scope for future upgrades, and it was designed by Cosworth toothumbsup.gif They are also very reliable, in my experience, even at relatively high outputs, (the sort of numbers the K series lot can only dream aboutteeth.gif) You really should search the archives of this site, and have a good look at what is said about ALL the choices before deciding (on a Vx of course).

Actually I'm just killing time until Alex, Arnie and the rest of the VX power men chime in.

Chapsquestion.gif

Chris

Yep you're right I should be on a retainer from Uncle Henry! This is one subject that gets everybody wanting to put in their 'twopennorth' GUARANTEED and I do love a good debate. Truth of the matter is I just love Sevens whatever their motive power.

No-No what am I saying, go Zetec everybody, join the cause young men everywhere, spread the word!

Keith

There was an article in Low Flying in '99 describing just such a change x/Flow-Zetec. If you can give me a fax no. I will dig it out and send you a copy.

Brent

PS Chris,

Zetec 1, K Series 0 biggrin.gifwink.gif

Edited by - BRENT CHISWICK on 18 Jan 2001 08:36:45

Hmm, I wasn't saying "Thou shalt change to a K", but I was questioning why a switch to a Vx or K was "much harder" than to a Zetec.

Steve Day sprints (very effectively) a K-powered live axle car, is he around to tell us how hard it was?

A while ago I saw a K-powered live axle being built in a well-known factory, destined for an overseas market...

Mike

Mike

It's probably no more difficult changing to Vx or 'K' but perhaps slightly cheaper to go Zetec in view of the fact one can use the same bellhousing. If you have a 4 speed 'box there really is no option as the bellhousing is part of the gearbox casing and so not changeable.

Brent,

I live in Greatham, near Petersfield.

I rang James to talk about a problem I was having with my handbrake and ending up discussing a new engine and suspension.

I have a 94, 1700 Supersprint with standard suspension. I am now trying to see if selling it and buying a newer Superlight or something would not be the better route.

Wayne Rogers

Hampshire

I have an Ex 1700 supersprint now with Zetec power.

The Zetec is a great engine, and does not weigh as much as those Vx.

Drop the Zetec in you won't regret it. Cheap for parts and plenty of power to be had.

Listen to Brent, job the Zetec club.