Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front end mods

AMMO

I've recently purchased a 1700 Supersprint with de dion axle and five speed box with the intention to upgrade it over a period of time. I want to sort out the handling and brakes before I look at any engine mods. First on the list is double wishbone front end (mine has the forged top links and 1/2" arb). Has anyone done this? If so any advice would be appreciated.

AMMO

I did this mod to my live axled Supersprint a couple of years ago. Thee are two options:-

1. Adds an additional link to the upper link to provide triangulation and this still uses the original ARB. This is the cheap option.

2. Uses most of the parts from the current double wishbone setup and replaces the bottom wishbone (getting rid of the trunnion with a proper ball joint) and uses a proper upper wishbone that will allow adjustment to camber. In my case, the chassis could not be modified to allow adjustment of caster, but this is probably more refinement than my driving would appreciate.

I went for the latter option and the work was done by Ratrace.

However, depending on what your car is currently fitted with, there may be cheaper initial starting points such as tyres and brake pads (see other threads in the past but I use Yoko A021Rs and Green Stuff).

Cheers,

Graham

I've got an '86 1700 supersprint and my philosophy is much the same as yours, make the most of the power you've got before adding more.

I had James Whiting do the work for me. The initial step has been to replace the springs/dampers allround (mainly due to the condition of the existing ones). Based on his recommendations, I went for the Leda dampers with pretty stiff springs (to compensate for tiny front arb and no rear one). A definite future step will be to add the additional top-link.

I've also switched to A021Rs allround, the new damper/spring/tyre combination is amazing in comparison to the old setup.

You might find Steve Shaw's webpage useful, he has done some similar work on his car to that which you are planning, his page can be accessed by clicking here

Kevin Thomas

kevin.thomas@bigfoot.com

www.c7kjt.co.uk

Thanks guys for the prompt reply. Graham, I'll probably go your route too and will also be trying 021's and Green Stuff. Kevin, thanks for the info and the link to Steve Shaw's page. Lots of useful ideas.

AMMO