Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres

Moff

I own a Classic 1800 Vauxhall Supersprint.

It's a great car, but with the live axle and the standard tyres being rather slippery, it can be a little excitable on some of my favourite bumpy back roads which can be a nerve wracking affair (particularly if it's damp). I've also had a couple of 'moments' when overtaking on slightly damp/greasy roads, fortunately all recovered in time.

All this has got me thinking about what I can do to sharpen the car up a little, particularly as I'm planning on doing a track day this year, but mainly really for road use. My guess is that the tyres are the key area to be addressing in the first instance? I have the standard classic minilite 13" wheels and standard tyres, Avon fuelsavers - I think.

Has anyone got any recommendations with regards to a good dry and wet road tyre? Also does anyone recommend any other tweaks that I can do to sharpen things up a little (brakes, suspension, engine etc)? I don't want to go mad, as I think the car is great as it is, but the tyres definitely need some serious attention.

Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

*confused*

Yokohama A021R's are said to provide excellent wet and dry performance. Get them from George Polley Motorsport (do a google search for his website). He seems to be just about the cheapest you can get and only charges £8 to deliver 4 to your door...

• Support Team

I would definitely recommend A021R's - I've just got my second set. You can get 185/60 or 185/70 in 13". The 60's are about £60 each and the 70's are significatnly cheaper (I have 60's so don't know the exact cost of the 70's). On road and wet track they are superb but they will overheat fairly quickly on a dry track. Just so you know they will wear out a lot quicker than normal road tyres so expect maximum of 5-6000 miles and less if you do track days. Otherwise just go for it. There are lots of alternatives and you could do worse than read this from the Caterham website. Caterham will recommend Avon CR500's but they are nearer £100 each.

George Polley are the best source of Yokohama's and will deliver for about £15. You'll need to find a friendly local tyre fitter which may be harder than you would think.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Sound like you have Avon CR322 which are also known as Avon widowmakers and Avon ditch locators. They have two virtues one being longevity and the other being price. There are no other known virtues to these tyres they are horrid.

AO21R's or CR500's both good tyres and will trasform the car.

Call me weird, but I actually like the CR322s, as long as it's dry. Enable cornering quicker than most other cars on trackdays, last forever, cheap, don't knacker my Ital axle, extremely progressive loss of grip, and therefore chuckable & fun 😬 (only advised on track however).

70 profile A021r's are 40 squids a corner (just finished off my first set), have just got some A032r's (for Oulton this year 😬) at £58 a corner, the 21's are an amazing upgrade for the price IMHO *thumbup* Chuckable and very progressive especially in the wet due to the 70 profile tire wall I believe. The extra ride height helps too!

Edited by - jaseb on 23 May 2003 19:23:23

Can agree with those above. 021's are a good move forward for what you say you're looking for. Unless you want to lower ride height to levels which might make it hard to get out of the drive then stay with 70 profile (same as your 322's). You also keep the same rolling radius (so your speedo will be just as inaccruate as before).

70 profile tyres were about £40 each IIRC from GPolleys. I seem to have found a REALLY friendly tyre guy in the Wrexham area as he only charges £10 for fitting of 4 tyres, and actually the same to remove 4 and refit another 4.

DAve.