Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Sump guard

prs

Hope this isn't going to sound daft BUT, was fiddling round underneath the front end last night and was looking at the number of scratches on the bottom of the sump (1.6 K Series) and having heard about people actually holing out their sumps etc I began to think about the logistics of fitting a sump guard.

It would be fairly straightforward to fabricate a couple of brackets and bolt these to the crossmember that supports the steering rack so that takes care of the two front mounts for the guard and the engine mounting bolts which protrude through the bottom chassis rail could provide the rear pickup points.

It would then be a simple matter of fabricating and bending/folding a suitable piece of alloy to cover the area from the cruciform to the leading edge of the sump. This would also provide protection for the alternator, belt, oil pressure sensor and of course the sump itself. The only drawbacks would be: the addtional weight, although if made in alloy then this is not going to be extensive, reducing the airflow around the sump, this could be overcome by drilling out some holes on the shaped part of the guard where it curves around the front of the sump itself, slight loss in ground clearance but this would only be the thickness of the alloy so perhaps about 3-4mm.

Is this a daft idea or is there some mileage in it.

Phil *thumbup*or maybe it's a *thumbdown*

If anyone can come up with a decent solution I'd be grateful. When dosh allows, I'm raising the ride-height (anyone any old adjustables they want rid of?) as soon as I can afford it, as I'm now onto the car's 3rd sump.

By the way, mine's a battered old supersport too.

I have a dry sump thingy and I was thinking of fabricating a simple deflector plate that would, at least, fold back against the sump strakes if i hit anything.

Any experience from anyone?

DAVID L

It's quite easy being GREEN !

I first made a sump guard about 3 years ago after I cracked my dry sump on these fine Welsh roads . I have also made a few for other people .

My guard is in a sort of religious cross shape . The 2 side arms bolt onto the engine mount and the disused VX engine mount . the front section comes up and wraps around the front cross member - where the horn is .

the rear tail simply gose the length of the sump pan .

the guard is seperated from the ally sump pan by 2mm thick mudflap material glued on with impact adhesive . Total loss of ride height = 6mm

The design also helps protect the front pulleys .

The guard is made from 4mm thick ally kickplate , weighs 230g . And of course lowers the CofG *wink*

Dave

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 22 May 2003 15:05:07

I bought my car (2nd hand) with a sump guard fitted. Its off the car at the moment. Dont have a digital camera though. Its made of small square section, with a thin plywood centre and bolts through the chassis at the front and rear. I should weigh the thing while its off the car *idea*

Edited by - taran las on 23 May 2003 14:31:45

Are we getting enough feedback for some clever soul to draw the spec so we can see if any light engineering chaps would like to manufacture them? I am amazed that no-one has designed this (imo)essential yet!

DAVID L

• Leadership Team

If we can come up with a design that ideally suits all engine types (mine's a K) I can arrange for a small qty production in ali or whatever. We need some dimensions.

Stu.

Thought this was a feasible idea, have already ordered a square metre of chequred 3.5mm ally sheet, cost £17 from a local engineering firm. All I have to do now is make some card templates!!! famous last words. Have got next week off so will have a look at some point.

Phil seems to be a *thumbup*

Considering the alternative to protection (!) (a possible wrecked lump) I would have thought that someone could make a few bob out of manufacturing two or three basic types that would suit the majority with 'home' modifications, in a fair quantity.

To give a rough idea, I would pay around £50 for a bit of kit that could be fitted easily.

DAVID L

Hi All

Well my dry sump pan has a 3 mm m/s plate brazed on to the of the full length x say 40 mm bottom of the dry sump pan. This has been on the car since say 1990 and is a bit thinner in places but the actual sumps is fine. *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Call it a wear strip 😬 😬 😬

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

I would have thought the nylon/polyolefin type of material would be a better bet than aluminium.(Delrin was the stuff I was thinking of)

Less grab when scrubbed along the road at speed.

I thought about using a large IKEA nylon chopping board on mine (very cheap and large enough to protect at least the front half of the sump) 😬

Edited by - Grim Reaper on 25 May 2003 13:59:35