Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting harnesses

excess baggage

I am attempting to fit harnesses with a single fixing point behind your head. I've removed the boot cover and there are two fixing points on either side. Is it acceptable to drill a new hole in the middle of them, obtain longer eye bolts and just bolt them through or will this weaken the bar, bearing in mind that there are already 4 holes in it?

I don't think you should do that, the areas surronding the holes will have been specially strengthened (inside the bar I think) and if you drill a hole in a different arae you will weaken the bar.

They are also threaded to take a standard size.

Most major harness manufactures sell specific caterham harnesess that use both bolt holes rather than the singular 1 I think you are describing

rob

Edited by - robmar on 16 Jan 2001 15:49:21

NO!thumbsdown.gif thumbsdown.gif thumbsdown.gifsad.gif Don't just drill through it as it'll weaken the box section.

It's not what you want at a harness attachment point!!!!

You'll see that the std. threaded bushes are welded into the box section to maintain its integrity & therefore not weaken it.

There is a way around thisthough without having to resort to welding etc. Contact me direct if you want and I'll sort out the info.thumbsup.gif

Have the correct mounting welded in the correct approved place by an approved welder not your mate, a coded welder is best. 1st May 1994 ring any bells it was never proved so must be carefull what I say, but get the job done properly and if you are worried about the weld quality get it x-rayed as well.

paul