Click here if you are having website access problems ×

QED Upgrade & Wiring

Harry Flatters

Had only one response to "Wiring Looms" so have retitled and here its is again. Does anyone else have any experience - is Arnie the only one?

The wallet is about to be opened for a QED Q42H Kit (throttle bodies, DTA ECU and reprofiled cams). The only thing that is causing me a bit of concern is the integration of the new engine bay wiring loom with the existing vehicle loom and making sure that everything (water temp guage, oil pressure guage etc) all still work.

Has anyone done this upgrade to a std VXI and what was the job like, easy, tough or nightmare?

Help please!

Steve Mell

PTM 88

I installed a DTA ECU and throttle bodies to my Caterham just over a year ago. The wiring was not that difficult. All connections to the engine are by plug connectors. I did need to get new water and air temp senders from QED. The remainder of the wiring consisted of wiring the ECU into the ignition which was pretty easy one the key barrel was out, and wiring up the shift light and rev counter. Most of the old loom is unused apart from some of the wiring for the gauges, and it is cable tied above the gearbox. I couldn't be bothered to unpick it all and remove the redundant wires.

The hardest parts of the installation were the fuel cap (my old one did not mate to my new injection tank) and the finding and modifying air filters to through my existing bonnet cutout.

Good Luck,

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

_________

/ /

___ _/______ /_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) \/ /

/___/--_________/--/___/

Edited by - Alex Wong on 16 Jan 2001 17:32:43

Edited by - Alex Wong on 16 Jan 2001 17:35:12

Tazio,

Both QED & SBD recomend fitting race-spec rod bolts. This should prevent a misguided con rod from exiting this world through a core plug!! I believe that these bolts are about 8GBP a piece.

Re collaborating on upgrades, sure. What spec is your 7 and where are you based.

Steve Mell

PTM 88

Steve,

I live in Nuneaton and run a standard VX on carbs, and simply want more puff and torque ( a word not in the K users dictonary !)

The issue is I have the budget ( c/o a cancelled PEP!), but I have no experience in engine building so I need a tutor....( The Alex and Roger engine builders school perhaps?)

From a performnce perspective I suppose the target is around 235bhp with even more torque...

What's your aim, and what led you to the choice you have made. and as an aside are you going dry sump too?

L7 FUN

Steve / Taz

Here's some stuff you will find interesting. Please download the pages and save them as I'll need to get them off my webspace soon. They're old articles but very relavant for anybody looking at upgrading a Vx engine.

Rory,

Well, nobody's perfect teeth.gif. Not even VDU7X.

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

_________

/ /

___ _/______ /_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) / /

/___/--_________/--/___/

Tazio,

I don't think my budget is as large as yours. My upgrade will hopefully nudge me to 200bhp with a set of QED DTH TB's (and the bits that go with these) along with a set of race bolts and a mild set of Q42H cams, all running on standard rods, pistons, vernier cogs and cam followers.

If you haven't already seen this site have a look here. It should suit your work to a tee: http://freespace.virgin.net/alex.wong/vxlinj.htm

Chat soon.

Steve Mell

PTM 88

Alex,

Thanks for those, I've downloaded them, I spoke to Swindon today and they are sending updated spec sheets for the 215 and 235 upgrades, but not sure evn my budget will streth to their charges...

Are you going to the Warwickshire Area Meeting in Feb so I could have a good chat? Basic issue is whilst I have built 3 7s, at the ripe old age of 51 have never stripped, let alone built an engine in my life...but gotta start somewhere...

Alan

L7 FUN

The current JPE engine sold by Caterham is no longer available. All they have is a rebuilt Vaux 16v Touring Car engine from 1994 which includes all the throttle bodies dry sumps etc. Trouble is head is on the other way round so it won't fit a proper Seven.... Only £12,000 + VAT.

The 2.2 uses a EN40 steel crank, and EN23 Arrows rods. These cost £3000 alone and were not fitted to the std JPE Engine which used standard internals except pistons!!!

Arnie Webb

Organiser- L7C Le Mans Trip

To book for this years Le Mans Trip see The Le Mans Trip Website

Its nearly full!!!

Mine aren't tapered. They're mounted on a DCOE 45 manifold lke carbs. This apparently gives more torque than direct to head, but less peak power. I don't understand why though. I assumed that direct to head was the ideal way for air to flow. Tapered bodies I think are normally direct to head but taper in as they get near the head so as to "accelerate" the air. I don't really know though so i could be talking rubbish here. I'm sure some of the tech guru's around could explain better.

Cheers,

Alex

Tapered look like direct to head, but each throttle assy is a separate casting on a common inlet manifold.

I believe the direct to head are the cheaper option as the production process is easier. QED's nasty black painted ones are direct to head, but the Jenvey branded are individual on a common inlet manifold.

Arnie Webb

Organiser- L7C Le Mans Trip

To book for this years Le Mans Trip see The Le Mans Trip Website

Its nearly full!!!

Steve,

I have just completed the QED/DTA/Lucas coil mods to a 1600k series. I was also concerned about the engine loom work. I have not had a lot of time to spare during the week so the whole job has taken over 3 months. I had to make three new brackets to hold fuel pressure valve. throttle linkage and coil which take took to get right.

I left the wiring till last and first removed each of the redundant transducers complete with cables, then cut back and bind up redundant wires, then connected in the new chassis connection loom, then fit the new loom.

It is not that easy but if you don't rush and are very methodical about labeling each cable as you disconnect it all seems to come right. I would not do it if you have a 3 week deadline. Everything is a hell of a squeeze and fitting the ITG air filter around the clutch pedal last night was a real pain. But its off for mapping on the 30th and I'll report if all the effort was worthwhile.

quote:

> How many lbft in a VX?

196lbft at 6250rpm on Griffin's dyno last week with the latest build. Thats 12 more than at Griffin last year.... Not as many as the 200 guesstimated by the Interpro rollers last summer but 16 more than measured at Emerald at the end of last season.