Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

A bit of a rant

Lennie

It has been said many times on this site but could I beg people to be careful what they say on this site. On the Freestyle or Caterham damper thread Tiddy {Simon] said that the AVO / Freestyle dampers failed as was very vment in his criticism. I have tried very hard to contact Tiddy to find out IF they were our units and exactly what the problem was. He has not made contact with me by phone, e-mail or through this site. Can I say the units were not ‘Freestyle dampers ‘ unless he bought them second had from somebody. On a thread long ago I made the point that some spherical joints were not Rose joints, although through out the motorsport world ‘Rose’ is the generic term for all spherical joints. It is so easy for any product to be labelled defective with no chance for the supplier to defend himself. I think AMMO is also having the same problem with the pulleys, and having spoken to Ammo about Duretec and all things engine I personally would be kind of inclined to believe him than the comments we get from other sources, but I have had the pleasure of talking to him, others who read the thread may not have. I have no problem with constructive criticism for instances our adjustable anti-roll bars still have a reputation for breaking. This was when Gary was making them by hand many years ago. We have since outsource the blades to one of the top engineering transmission firms in the country the bars are bent and welded by Arch the blocks have been changed from alli to a special nylon, even the bolts have all been changed. Now perhaps the originals deserved that but we have worked long and hard to improve, so for people to criticise any product that I don’t think we sold is very hard to take. Sorry for the rant but people like Ammo, Gary, and myself are only trying to make the Seven even better, which according to Andy Noble in Autocar the factory can’t do.

Well said. Its a case of being aware of all of the facts. There are some who only appear to care about the quality of the product or service and some who are genuine in their approach to customers. *thumbup*

Run Baby Run *eek*

does it really have anything less than full throttle

Agreed Len,

Many read this forum and facts must be straight.

I tell the experiences I have had or those I know and trust have had.

So far the Freestyle products have worked fine on Jason's car for 9 odd thousand miles. More than many 7's have seen!

My front ARB has been on for 6 odd races and the rear dampers just 2. Pretty limited road mileage

ist he order of day.

Len's approach to the customer comes as a breath of fresh air when compared to some who don't seem to care about such things as much.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Len,

ARB's purchased from Freestyle are absolutely first class, along with Freestyle approach to Customers.

Most 7 suppliers ( Bruce at Arch, Chris Wheeler, Roger King, Guy at Nitron to name a few ) have a similar approach which I have to say is a pleasent change to the "customer focus" which is absent from suppliers in my day job.

Keep up the good work. *thumbup*

Anthony

Off to the paint shop PDQ...

Len

I've been thinking about putting new shocks on for some time to replace my ageing and rather tatty Spax ones.

I'd been thinking about the Freestyle units. Then I read the thread and immediately dismissed them as being sub standard. My motorcycling background means that I'm used to paying £500.00 for one shock absorber. How can four for the same price be any good? Thats exactly what went through my mind. Similar thoughts must have gone through many other people's minds too.

That is the effect that a posting from a single unknown person can do. There is no doubt that he has done a lot of damage to your business. It must be very frustrating for you that you are unable to contact him to discuss the situation.

From the postings on this site it is obvious that you are well respected and that you've spent years building up a good reputation. Then someone comes along and pisses on your barbeque. A great shame seeing that Freestyle is a relatively new venture.

Chin up Len. I hope that getting it off your chest helped.

When funds permit or the Spax start to leak (soon I hope) I'll be coming down to see you for a set of Freestyle shocks. Keep up the good work of making our wonderful cars even better.

AMMO

Thanks for that mate. Your right I do feel better.

Sorry to do this to you but Arch are delivering the first productionised pushrod kit today, when you have driven on it just dampers will not be good enough. Kettles on, donuts are fresh, see you soon.

Hi Len, Always a problem once a reputation is established. I talk here of the anti roll bar/blade problem. Slightly different, but the Comet airliner even when really well sorted still had 'that' reputation hanging over it!

I have Avo dampers on my car. I was trying to get 'em from Gary originally but couldn't get any answer on his 'phone over several weeks of trying. You know that problem Len! Result? Lost sale. Sorry Gary.

Anyway, I got them direct from Avo and the rear set within 600 miles were leaking profusely (both).

I could have 'slagged' them off etc, but a constructive 'phone call + sending them back had them sorted and returned; all OK. They're still fine 3,000 + miles on (I hope they stay that way).

Any company can have issues/problems with a product they make or have manufactured for them. The most important point is how well they deal with your problem. If it is carried out efficiently and courteously then I have to say I regard this as a plus point. Now if the product keeps on failing.........well that's a different issue!!!