Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Exhaust wrap fixings

Tight fart

Soak it in water before you put it on. No dust......otherwise wear a decent mask, and safety glasses, as well as latex gloves. You DO NOT want to be scratching your eyes/nuts after handling this stuff....... 😳 😳

I use SS jubilee clips........

• Leadership Team

*arrowright* Before you remove the manifold make a mark on each tube where you want the wrap to finish - it's not obvious when they're lying on the garage floor.

*arrowright* Soak the wrap for a minute or 2 - it tightens at it drys out.

*arrowright* 1" is easier to work with than 2"

*arrowright* Stainless clips specific for the job available from Demon Ts. Watch how you fit them - as said they're bl%%dy sharp *mad*

Stu.

There now seems to be two sorts of exhaust wrap. That which needs soaking (moistening, would be more correct) to make it pliable and that which does not. Both are equally simple to use... do not use the would-be-sexy s/steel ties, as you cannot crank them tight enough and they do cut your fingers, instead a "Jubbly" at the end of each tube or an oversized clip over two tubes.

Spray with heat resistant coating... but beware of the smoke screen when you first use the car - don't go shopping or visit traffic lights at red!!!

This material is meant for insulation use and has no ability to take abrasive contact. Therefore when fitting, make sure you have enough clearance and that you do not "force" it in any manner than will damage it surface.

If you think it might itch you skin, wear rubber gloves

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

The exhaust wrap I use is Cooltec , available from Peter Lloyd Rallying mail order ( do search on google ) for £32 !!!! . this is for 2" x 15m . The cooletc is a nice white wrap , and is "knitted" in a tight weave .

I have tried other more expensive ones and they have all streched / frayed , fallen apart .

Do the Cheelspeed method and use stainless jubliee clips at he bottom .

The cooltec shouldnt be applied wet .

Wrap the manifold off the car , using a 50 % overlap .

No further spray / treatment is required .

Reduces the underbonnet temps dramatically and lasts me 2-3 years .

yes - hardwearing and attracive finish , or maybe not compared to stainless .

But the manifold will still emit loads more heat than if it was wrapped ......... I can touch my manifold when the engine is running .

Save £150 for a trackday and wrap it

*thumbup*

dave

I have raced for some years with exhaust wrap and hate it with a vengenanceb *thumbdown* *smile*. IMHO poor looks compared to nicely finished metal.

Clips, wire ties etc and constant fraying. No doubt about its effectivieness, though.

I run a high output race BDA and underbonnet temperature hasn't been an issue. And I don't intend touching the primaries whilst they are running!!

Racing pics and items for sale here

I use the brown Thermotec tape, in 1" wide flavour, and I put it on wet (well, damp, rather than wet), 'cos I don't want to be inhaling all the dust that comes off it. It might not be bad for me, but I think it probably should be avoided.......

Like Trevor, I'm not a fan of the way it looks, and it doesn't do abrasion at all well, but it works.....

There a picture here, of a Rover V8, sporting Thermotec tape, and jubbly clips holding it on.....