Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Crossflow electronic ignition

Gruff

Just finished running in my first 7 (1700 Supersprint) and I'm thinking about fitting electronic ignition. Looking for advice about my options, and on what works best. I'm new to all this!!

Try an Aldon Ignitor. Fits under the dissy cap and is very simple to fit. You can get them at Demon Theives. I had one for 5 years with no trouble at all. Oilyhands like these too, he had one on a pinto if I remember correctly......

Paul.

The Lucas competition system is the DBs and probably the best you can get without going 3D. There are probably cheaper alternatives but this is a very good bit of kit. Available either from Burtons or from Roger King, who does some tweaking with the advance curve before sending it out.

They've been in short supply of late, but I believe this was due to (lack of) availability of distributor bodies, Aldon being affected similarly. Think this is no longer an issue.

Kevin Thomas

www.7gallery.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Would fitting an Aldon Igniter under the dizzy cap stop the 'pinking' under load?

Engine Spec: Newly rebuilt (700 miles ago)1690cc SuperSprint xflow with Accralite 83.5mm forged pistons, unleaded head conversion with timing now set at 8 degrees 🤔

Depends if you buy a new dizzy or just the electronics. If the latter then there will be no change to the timing and hence the pinking will remain.

Last I heard, Aldon had difficulty getting the x-flow dizzies, so it may be better to send your existing dizzy to them for a new advance curve and the fitting of the electronics.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

The Lucas system fitted by Caterham to the Super Sprint in the 80's and early 90's is not the same as the Lucas constant energy system that RK and Burton, amongst others, sell. I think that parts for the OE system may now be mostly obselete.

Lucas constant energy units are still coming on the market second hand as people upgrade to 3D

Might be worth doing the sums as the 3D is fantastic and makes a real improvement to drivability.

Lucas CE unit is extremely reliable

Either solution is easy to fit and will I am sure give you a long term reliable ignition system

Anthony

Off to the paint shop PDQ...

I've never come across an argument against 3D ignition except on grounds of cost/complexity *confused* It seems an ideal way of improving fuel consumption and driveability whilst retaining the character of webers.

Upgradeitis ward, awaiting open wallet surgery. 100,016 miles