Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Paint Stripping Fibre Glass

MikeE

I've been searching the local DIY and motor shops for a couple of weeks now but can't find a paint stripper that says it's suitable for use on fibreglass (actually I'm going to give it a go on my carbon wings).

Can anyone recommend a good brand and let me know where I can source it in the Fleet/Hants area? (and please don't tell me Halfords or Camberley Auto Factors 'cos both are useless *mad*)

cheers,

Mike

I want to do the same. I want to leave them bare so NOT damaging them is essential. It has been suggested to me that I may strip the paint but leave the carbon in less than pristine condition BUT if they were subsequently laquered they'd look pretty "new" again.

I've selected "Check here to be notified by email whenever anyone replies to this topic" so hopefully someone will come up with the answer we both want.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Nitromors used to do a paint astripper specially for fiberglass - I used it 20 years ago on a lotus europa - however, it was not very agressive and still jolly hard work, don't know if they still make it.

• Leadership Team

Big difficulty with the paint over carbon is initially the laquer - I've found the most effective product to be Nitromors Varnish & Laquer Remover (B&Q, £5) which appears to penetrate the laquer (then the paint) better than the standard product. Ade Ray recommended to me that attacking it with an aluminium oxide paper (80 grade) first can be a big benefit, certainly the laquer coat doesn't want to lift easily. The carbon needs to be flatted with a fine grade paper to remove the last deposits of paint - however many applications of stripper I've applied, there's still a bottom "ingraining" of paint that doesn't want to budge, but not all over. You'll need to re-laquer when finished.

Stu.

Vervex from Sikkens is a not to agressive paintstripper it is sort of jelly like and you can rinse it with water but like Stu says it is best to break the top layer with some emerycloth for a faster result but you have to expect to apply several coats of vervex before all the paint is remouved and for the final touch you can use a hard brush ( plastic )

hope this helps