Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Moving the pedals

JP

I want to move the pedals to the furthest setting - they are current on the middle setting. Is it simply a case of unbolt and move or there anything else to be aware of? I've noticed a bar linking the pedals to the pushrod for the master cylinder - does this need adjusting and if so how does one set it correctly? Also, does the clutch need any readjustment?

Thanks Peter T, I've only had a quick look at the inside of the pedal box, but the throttle pedal seems to be separate from the others and only has a single mounting point -maybe I need to have another look...Is it simply a question of "take up the slack" or are there specific clearances that the pedals should be adjusted to?

The Throttle pedal also has 3 positions it can use,they are there somewhere though you will probably need a light to see them clearly.

You can space the pedals left and right by addition of washers on the pivot bolt and/or bending the pedal shaft to the required position.

I had to move the brake pedal to the left by bending it so I could press the throttle without pressing the brake at the same time,and moved the clutch pedal to the left using washers so I could get both feet on them at the same time (for braking to a standstill)

It's still not quite right,as the clutch pedal goes down,the pedal box gets smaller and I end up rolling my left foot to allow it to continue downwards.

I have noticed the brake pedal rubber keeps trying to make a bid for freedom too.

Edited by - Grim Reaper on 20 May 2003 12:46:22

I did this again at the weekend (although moving them into the short-arse position), so while it's still fresh in the mind I'll try and do a step by step.

There are 3 main things that have to be moved within the pedal box - the brake/clutch pedal assembly, the throttle pedal and the throttle pedal stop.

First off, disconnect the throttle cable from the carbs/plenum/whatever so it's slack and disconnect the brake master cylinder and clutch cable by removing the pins from them (now is also a good time to replace the R-clips with split pins).

Remove the brake light switch by unscrewing the locking nut and disconnecting the cables.

Remove the brake pedal (taking care to hang onto all the relevant washers) by unscrewing the long bolt through the middle bracket. I'd leave the clutch pedal hanging on it for the moment.

Remove the bolt that the throttle pedal pivots on, taking note of what washers are where, and move in into the forward postition.

Remove the upper throttle stop bolt (if fitted) and move it to the forward position.

Move the clutch pedal to the forward position and replace the brake pedal.

Slacken the lock nuts on the clutch cable and master cylinder push-rod and re-connect to pedals.

You should now be able to move the pedals to a suitable height by adjusting the various adjusters on the cables/push rod, and once you're done refit the brake light switch un such a position that it is just depressed as the pedal is at rest.

HTH

Stuart

If you move your brake pedal to the farthest position make sure it still has enough travel to exercise the pedal far enough to invoke the 2nd circuit in a failure situation. Say the rear brake line is cut the pedal will be longer to invoke the remaining front circuit. I think there can be an issue of the pedal not being able to travel far enought to do this on some pedal box setups.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here