Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wiring Looms

Harry Flatters

The wallet is about to be opened for a QED Q42H Kit (throttle bodies, DTA ECU and reprofiled cams). The only thing that is causing me a bit of concern is the integration of the new engine bay wiring loom with the existing vehicle loom and making sure that everything (water temp guage, oil pressure guage etc) all still work.

Has anyone done this upgrade to a std VXI and what was the job like, easy, tough or nightmare?

Help please!

Steve Mell

PTM 88

Steve,

If you do not have a fairly good knowledge of automotive wiring a job like this is best left to an expert.

It is not fitting the DTA stufff which is hard as it is documented. The difficult part is cutting and removing the disused wiring from your Caterham loom.

Best advide is take your time and ensure you bind it all back together with the correct tape wrapping.

You are best advised to remove the scuttle if you tackle this your self as everything is much more accessable.

I speak from experience - I did this to my var in 1994 and ther is very little of the original loom left. It now comprises Home made loom for MBE 912 ECU, Loom for Stack Inst. panel, Racelogic Traction control loom, plus the Caterham bits for lighting etc.

Arnie

Arnie,

Thanks for that cheerful reply.

Am I to take it that despite the CC wiring diagrams showing separate harnesses for vehicle & engine, they are in fact all physically bound into the same harness under the bonnet.

Surely I can get away without removing the scuttle?

If that is the case, I guess it's out with the stanley knife and side cutters. Where can I get proper loom wrapping tape, not just insulation tape which goes all orrible & sticky?.

Steve

Steve Mell

PTM 88

Steve,

Theres a few palce that advertise inthe back of Motoring News and CCC - They are all cood suppliers of auto electrical bits.

I have in fronmt of me a catalogue for Vehicle Wring Products - no web site, but their number is 0115 9305454

When I did my conversion the only wiring diagram Caterham had was for the Xflow. There may be an VAUX diagram in existance now, especially as the VX injection loom is even more complex than the carb loom I had to deal with....

Good luck!

Arnie

Arnie Webb

Organiser- L7C Le Mans Trip

To book for this years Le Mans Trip see The Le Mans Trip Website

Its nearly full!!!