Click here if you are having website access problems ×

AO21s in the wet

Griff

It was like driving on marbles on my half worn AO32s after a cloud burst at Castle Combe today. Switched to my nearly new AO21s and even though the track was a little less wet by then, they seemed to make very little difference. Any suggestions? Especially tyre pressures?

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by - griff on 19 May 2003 20:32:09

Mike,

How new were the 21Rs (less then 150 miles) ? If they are very new then they may still have the release compound on them and in that state they are very slippy in the wet.

Otherwise I tend to run at about 20 psi.

I haven't found anything better than 21Rs for general road use.

Peter

Edited by - Baby Bucket on 19 May 2003 22:04:05

• Support Team

Try around 17 psi cold which should get to around 20 hot. 21R's are great on road and on wet tracks but they overheat quickly on a dry track as I found out at Llandow a few weeks ago.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Combe's also very bumpy and very fast, which makes grip a real problem in the wet, so that probably didn't help. My first time in a 7 was there in the wet - I tried to heel & toe into Quarry, got it wrong, locked the rear wheels and fishtailed over Avon Rise 😳.

Thanks all. I've been running my A021s on the road (about 300 miles now) where they seem fine. They were set at 1.4 bar (just under 20psi) cold for the track but still pretty slithery. Maybe I'll try a bit lower next time, but I would have though a higher pressure in the wet would have increased grip? At a lower pressures don't you have a larger footprint and less chance of dispersing water in the tread block? Or is my logic back to front (like the car after the chicane 😳)?!

Mike

I think there can be a problem when you go very low - but I think 15 to 16 psi is ok IMHO.

No doubt there will be some technical expert along shortly to tell us exactly what the situation is.

But you definatly dont want them too high in the wet.

See X777CAT here

I've always got a bit confused about whether pressures should go up or down, as I've heard different things for different types of tyres. I think the logic for lowering when wet is that the tread blocks and tyre carcass are able to move around more, and therefore generate more heat in the tyre - I assume that this is felt to be more important than reducing the footprint slightly with the higher pressure.

No experience with fiddling with car tyres in the wet but with karts if you want more grip you increase the tyre pressure. With the college kart club I run, we don't go above 25psi to increase the life of the tyres. However have heard of several people using pressures of around 40-50psi. Tyres don't last too long though.