Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Lowered Floor conversion

Castrol

Hi All,

If anyone has carried out the lowered floorpan conversion can I ask for their feedback as to what it is like to do. I have a 1992 1700 Supersprint with a de-dion chassis but have floor cross members that weren't in the 7 I looked at (thanks if you're reading this!) whilst at Curborough on Saturday. Can it therefore be done and keep the same pre S type adjustable seats or do I have to change to Tillets as well?

Thanks,

Matt.

I've got a lowered floor pan in on the drivers side, and I have been told it was a total pain in the 🙆🏻 to fit considering it was meant to be designed for my sort of 7. None of the holes lined up, and they had to modify teh corner where the A frame meets the chasis rail. Now its in I am certainly lower in the car. *smile*

Speak to Arch as they make the thing

does it hurt when you hit 40? *smile*

But have you scraped your 🙆🏻 on the road yet Andrew 🤔 *eek* Just interested as I am thinking about this mod but do not need the pain from a well placed bump in the road

Is it SUMMER yet? 😬

Matt

Is this conversion a Caterham offering, or from someone else? Only ask as when I talked to the

factory recently they said they were finalising the details on a lowered floor plan- just wondered if they had completed it yet.

Cheers

Nick

Thanks for your thoughts so far.

Tom,

Do Tillets make that much difference to seat height? If so then that could be a starting point.

Nick,

Certainly is a Caterham offering spoke to aftersales yesterday and they gave me a price of £200+VAT and in stock at the factory end of the month.

Thanks everyone,

Matt.

• Leadership Team

Tom / Castrol - I've trimmed about half the foam out of my seat - even sat on the floor without the seat base in I'm unsatisfactorily high. The tillet will offer a marginal advantage in bumb height - biggest gainer is to tilt the seat back slightly using spacers at the front. Often Tillets "appear" to be lower because of the ability to set them up slightly more tipped - thinner head-rest of course.

The lowered floor has to be a benefit - I'm running with the competition honey reinforcing which makes the situation worse! Anybody got the tel.no. for Arch?

Stu.

• Leadership Team

*thumbdown*

Spoken to Arch - they say go through Caterham 🙆🏻

Spoken to Caterham ..........................................................

. £200 for the floor. No, not fitted sir! *mad*

.But it's thicker aluminium sir

Aaaghhhh!!!!

Stu.

Thanks for the number Chelspeed.

Stu,

I also called Arch. Spoke to a really helpful guy. "Yes" you can get one, but "No" not through us you have to go to Caterham. Spoke to Caterham and agree with you £200+vat for the parts. Have to have a serious think about this now. May give your idea a try and take some padding out of the seat and try that for starters.

Matt.

• Leadership Team

Chelspeed,

I carefully opened up the cover - mine are cloth seats - then worked through the foam with a combination of hobby knives, bread knife etc. It's a sod to cut but well worth it in the end. Mines about 15mm thick now - I think originally it must have been around 40mm. I've tilted my seat back slightly using a couple of big washers under the front of the runners - you're limited by the headrests hitting the FIA bar, but every bit helps. The runners also seem to work better now.

When I next have the seat out I'll look into the viabiity of having a new panel custom made to replace the floor - there really can't be that much involved.

Stu.

As nobody else has mentioned it I thought I would. The “Lowest” seat is the two pack foam kit for about £40 plus a roll of tank tape to cover it. You can get the kit from various places including DT or CML will supply and fit for you for a fee. You can then still refit your other seat when not on the track.

Tricky

Academy 2003

Group 1 Race # 5

• Leadership Team

The honeycomb protection in my car adds an additional 1/2" - not a lot, but even with no seat, I sit too high *confused*

A lowered floor has to be the answer.

Anybody know the exact amount that the new lower floor is different to standard?

Stu.

As for bum scraping.. I run two 2" high air ducts to the rear brake to cool them and these only ground with a passenger and a sizeable airbourne landing to compress the suspension a bit.

So I don't think the lowered floor conversion will ever be a problem from that angle.

As for the extra 0.5" then it makes no difference if the thing is already stuffed full *smile*

Back to seating.. it makes the difference between banging your helmet on the front to rear strut on the cage or not, so it is important.

Reclining the Tillet is important.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 27 May 2003 20:28:32