Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Steering rack MOT fail - help?

Mike Beresford

Hi,

I have an '86 live axle seven, just taken it for the annual MOT and it failed. It hasn't been used since the drive to the test center last year - when it passed. *confused*

The reason for the failure as a tiny "1/2mm" ammount of play at the exit from the rack housing, the play is front to back. I've re shimmed the "steering gear" to correct tolerances but the play is still there. No play in the ball joints, or at the rod ends. The play only shows up when you rock the steering wheel.

My question is to other owners of old sevens -do you have similar play?, I've never noticed it before but I imagine it could be normal, it's so minor I'm surprised it's an MOT failure,(I can't feel it in the steering). Preparing myself for an argument with the tester next weekend!

Any advice/views would be great.

Am I reading this right, the play is fore and aft, where the rack exits the tube, if that is the case it would indicate the bushes installed at the ends of the tube are worn, not sure if these are replaceable, and I seem to recall they weren't very thick even when not worn out, or this may be a load of old bollow, and your rack is of a later type to mine, mines 1982 vintage, a modified mini rack I believe, but hopefully may have given you some points to look at, Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

Mike,

Sounds like you might want to try another testing center. For your info I've just bought a new rack for my academy car and that was £186 plus delivery and VAT :-((

Tricky

Academy 2003

Group 1 Race # 5

It passes *smile*

Ended up having to argue my point with the tester and got him to dig out his MOT guide book. The MOT test fails cars on wear in ball joints and not having a smooth motion. Mine therefore should not fail! He agreed but gave me a strongly worded guide in his notes - to protect himself. I will replace the thing once I've worked out what it is! Latest view from Caterham is that it is probably from a Metro.

Can't believe they want c£200 to supply a replacement though!

Thanks for all help.

See you at Le Mans - I'll be the one weaving down the road 😬

Mike