Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tailored "Indi Seat"

Andrew Walker

Has anyone out there made one of these Indi Seats? (page 73 of the 2001 Demon Tweeks)

I can't get comfy on my current seat - which is the 1989 style adjustable one - and I feel like I'm sitting on the car rather than in it.

It says that the basic component is a vacuum bag containing beads with a fitting which allows attachment of a hose (from your vacuum cleaner to suck air out) plus a screw cap for adding or removing bead material and for adding resin.

It seems that once you've got the shape you want then you add the resin and it sets.

It sounds like a good solution but would be expensive if it doesn't work.

I'd be interested to know how easy is it and which volume/bag size to buy.

Thanks

Andrew,

I think they're the B's & E's. I don't fit in a normal fibreglass seat, I've had a number of foam based seats and a bench seat, but never one I was completely happy with. I went for an Indi seat 18 months ago and have never looked back.

When fitting you get plenty of practice as you can have 'dry' runs. Once your happy add the resin and refit. It takes about 30 minutes to harden (a further few hours to cure completely), so you have time to re-shape if need be. Someone to help is a good idea, but not essential.

I've done a various races, track days and about 6,000 road miles. Longest journey so far is about three hours and I felt fine.

Can't remember which size I used, but DT should be able to advise.

Not made an Indi Seat, but have just had a go at a 2 part polyurethane foam job. Certainly sounds from the previous post that the Indi is easier to make and less chance of going wrong - there are no dry run options with the foam. However the foam is substantially cheaper so you can afford to scrap a few failed experiments. I bought my first batch from DT for £30 (in the 2000 catalogue, but doesn't seem to be in the 2001). Having scrapped the first attempt, bought the second batch direct from supplier for £15!