Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Height of K or Vx Engines

gareth

At the motorsport show, I measured numerous small twin Cams, but have since lost the piece of paper with the measurements (yes I am useless) However, I do remember that the K was the tallest,the Vauxhall 1.6 Ecotech next, then that super little Zetec SE engine was shorter still (its a pity its built backwards as it would make a good engine for a seven) but the shortest of them all by a good margin was a Toyota 4AGE engine that was extraordinarily compact.

Mike will be along shortly with the exact dimensions of a K series.

And here I am. Being pretty useless myself I didn't make it out into the garage last night, but according to PTP's website (www.powertrainprojects.co.uk) a 1.8 K-series is 615mm tall. That'll be with the std. transverse sump, although I don't think the height is reduced by an awful lot with the Caterham sump. I guess that's the bottom-to-top height as if it were mounted upright (in which mode it wouldn't fit into a Caterham).

Mike

That means a S2000 engine will fit with Mugen dry sump,

How big is a Caterham six speed length and width, if approx the same as Honda's 6 which is visually small, all that would be needed would be a prop shaft tailor made.

Life can't be this easy

Ok

The S2000 engine does rotate the correct way, first one to do so.

I just happen to have collect several of these engine for a race project S2000.

The engine weight is approx 150Kg

I am very tempted to get a tape measure out

Are we allowed to swear on the forum...

So if your measurements work out it looks like the loom will be the only headache (though cooling it might be a hassle as well?).

Can you get these engines fairly readily then? Am happy with the k at the minute, but this certainly sounds like it has promise...

C7 AJM

The engine weight is approx 150Kg

That seems horribly heavy.

On the Swindon Racing Engines stand at Autosport was a 2 litre development of the Ford/Yamaha 1700 Zetec aimed at F3 from next year. I think they are estimating 75kg. No prices on that flyer.

Their GM based 3 litre V6 comes in at 141kg for 406BHP, height just under 600mm, width 520mm. Would that fit in a Caterham? UKP18950 in ones.

Paul