Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fitting Aeroscreen

Mark P

I have recently purchased interchangeable aeroscreen and have started to fit.

Removed old screen and replaced black metal strips inside cockpit with the new ones supplied by the kit. New aero bolts fairly easily to the two front holes, and by previously sticking the self adhesive foam to the bottom edge, this reduces the gap underneath.

Do I need to put the rubber seal across the top of the screen, what purpose does this hold ?

Haven’t got round to fitting the mirrors yet, but the bit in the middle, with the three holes in it to fit the centre mirror to points up at an angle of about 90 degrees. I assume this is correct, so that the bolt heads for the mirror fixing don't foul the scuttle.

Also I already have two poppers fitted to the scuttle, but within the kit, there are two more. Where do these get fitted to if at all ?

Any help would be appreciated.

I too was unsure of the purpose of the rubber , but supposed it was intended for the lower edge, and was an attempt to fill the void for which you used the foam.

There are postings and pics on the mirrors. Use search facility.The heads of the bollts are underneath and the nuts are finished with the supplied plastic covers.

The male and female poppers are as God intended, male on top! The female underneath attaches the screen to the poppers on the coming.

The trick pubished elsewhwere is to put masking tape on the offered up underside of the w/screen, and press down to find the centre you should drill for the new poppers.

Good luck

Searched through the archives, and can't seem to find any pictures that show it in any detail (other than Freds lovely carbon version !!)

I have read a post which suggests that the only two fixings are on the sides, ie no fixing in the middle.

Also, if I fix the middle of the aero to the scuttle, it distorts the aero a little.

Sorry I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to spanners so simple help would be appreciated.

Mark, I assumed the G/F was the same design as the C/F. Yes Freds is a good piccy. How is yours different?

You will have to lengthen the side holes slightly to stop the bowstring effect. Each hole was "relieved " by about 1/4 inch.Use high speed drill. and mask the screen with masking tape incase of sliding off and scratching.

Thanks for the replies, made things a lot clearer, in only Caterham could supply some instructions.

All I need to get is the "popper tool" or try Darrens method with a countersink, and I'll be motoring again with the real fly in the teeth Caterham experience.

Edited by - MARK P on 17 May 2003 23:22:41